How do you study ALL your subjects in one day? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I come home from school at 3pm, and find there's not nearly enough time to study every subject. I do 6 subjects and like to study all of them equally, but the problem is time. Would not studying every subject, every day have a massive impact on how well you do in assignments/exams?

HoldingOn

HSC
I come home from school at 3pm, and find there's not nearly enough time to study every subject. I do 6 subjects and like to study all of them equally, but the problem is time. Would not studying every subject, every day have a massive impact on how well you do in assignments/exams?
I just do my homework then pick 2 or 3 subjects to revise that evening (obviously the next evening I wouldn't do the same subjects).

Last edited:

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
Simple answer: You don't...

"Don't study HARD, Study SMART"

I do the same as this guy.

I just do my homework then pick 2 or 3 subjects to revise that evening (obviously the next evening I wouldn't do the same subjects). Also what time do you finish working?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Don't study every subject equally firstly, because if you're getting 90+ in maths and 70s in english, it's advisable to give more time to english. First find your weakest subjects or subjects which require more time (e.g. extension subjects) then study a few subjects each day as the posts above said...

tloos

HSC
Max study 2-3 subjects per night...rotate equally. Plan how many hours you want to spend per subject each week and then allocate specific days of the week where that subject will be one of the subjects you focus on. Studying six subjects per night is ridiculous, the study will not be effective and you can only do so much in one hour for a subject. Like i said before, rotate and plan ahead.

HSC
Before I dropped the subject, my SOR II teacher regaled a study which found that up to 50% of your recall ability is lost if you fail to study the content again within 24 hours. Therefore, I personally used to structure my study timetable around the subjects I had that particular day, to better reinforce what I was learning. That was usually about 4 subjects on average.

chickencoop

HSC
Before I dropped the subject, my SOR II teacher regaled a study which found that up to 50% of your recall ability is lost if you fail to study the content again within 24 hours. Therefore, I personally used to structure my study timetable around the subjects I had that particular day, to better reinforce what I was learning. That was usually about 4 subjects on average.
I'm with Thatcher here! I also like reinforcing the days content after learning it at school. Also, it would be advisable to study your weaker subjects more than those you are strong or knowledgeable at. Having really good marks in 4 subjects but flunking the remaining 2 is going to drag your ATAR down substantially.

andrew12678

HSC
One of the things that really helped me out in being able to study ALL my subjects during the day would be doing Maths during school (I know I'm repeating myself with some of my other posts but I just want it to be known). I had around 24 Periods of Maths in total at school from 4 Unit and all I did during these lessons was sit at the back and pick out 'hard questions' towards the end of past papers, this is equivalent to 18hrs of maths study a week and at home I was able to divide my time between Phys/Chem/Eng without the worry of spending any time with maths. But this is an issue if you need to listen to your school math teacher (aka. you haven't gone tutoring to learn ahead of time) so I would recommend doing so if you haven't already but don't join one of the big firms (eg. Truongs/Du/Harry/ACE/Alpha Omega etc) as they are probably 1 year ahead and it would be hard to transition unless you have already been attending before yr 10. So I would recommend looking for a private tutor, to provide relevant and personalised acceleration for you, especially if you are interested in saving the 18 hrs a week (you attend tutoring for 2 hrs max and you save 18, worth the investment). Also try to squeeze in some more maths study during school lunch and recess, you can still sit with friends and talk whilst doing maths casually (what I did lmao)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
One of the things that really helped me out in being able to study ALL my subjects during the day would be doing Maths during school (I know I'm repeating myself with some of my other posts but I just want it to be known). I had around 24 Periods of Maths in total at school from 4 Unit and all I did during these lessons was sit at the back and pick out 'hard questions' towards the end of past papers, this is equivalent to 18hrs of maths study a week and at home I was able to divide my time between Phys/Chem/Eng without the worry of spending any time with maths. But this is an issue if you need to listen to your school math teacher (aka. you haven't gone tutoring to learn ahead of time) so I would recommend doing so if you haven't already but don't join one of the big firms (eg. Truongs/Du/Harry/ACE/Alpha Omega etc) as they are probably 1 year ahead and it would be hard to transition unless you have already been attending before yr 10. So I would recommend looking for a private tutor, to provide relevant and personalised acceleration for you, especially if you are interested in saving the 18 hrs a week (you attend tutoring for 2 hrs max and you save 18, worth the investment). Also try to squeeze in some more maths study during school lunch and recess, you can still sit with friends and talk whilst doing maths casually (what I did lmao)
Doing what you said isn't possible for everyone. I know in my 3u maths class the teacher (the principal) makes us all stand up and follow him around to the whiteboards and we don't sit down much until we do a question from a HSC paper, so it's not possible sadly. Last year in 2 unit it was but not anymore.

I think that's a really good idea though with your idea of doing maths during school

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
From personal experience, I found it more realistic and effective to assign 2-3 subjects one night and then assign 2-3 subjects for the next night and keep alternating. Of course, there will be times where you need to prioritise certain subjects and neglect certain subjects due to competing deadlines.

andrew12678

HSC
Doing what you said isn't possible for everyone. I know in my 3u maths class the teacher (the principal) makes us all stand up and follow him around to the whiteboards and we don't sit down much until we do a question from a HSC paper, so it's not possible sadly. Last year in 2 unit it was but not anymore.

I think that's a really good idea though with your idea of doing maths during school
Yes that is indeed true, it is rather unfortunate that it can not be done in all scenarios like you have mentioned. However if there are opportunities to change teachers through changing timetables etc. it's perhaps worth a try if interested

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC

Well he got a perfect ATAR so it must've worked...

HSC
Hey, that might work for math, but my subjects are heavily humanities-based.

Nice job on your ATAR by the way, it's phenomenal. :D

andrew12678

HSC
Hey, that might work for math, but my subjects are heavily humanities-based.

Nice job on your ATAR by the way, it's phenomenal. :D
Yea unfortunately it only applies to Maths (a subject which can be done in a rather noisy environment) as opposed to something like English where chatter and discussion around you can affect your own ability to write. Thank you for the compliment and all the best to yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)