HSC Courses Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Asianboy02

HSC
N/A
I have one question. I am planning to do medicine in future ( become a doctor ). Do I need to take biology? I am thinking of taking Chem, Phys, ExtMath. To sum up my question, to do medicine d you need to do biology?

andrew12678

HSC
Biology is not a pre-req for Medicine however if you do not complete Biology at the HSC level you might need to do a 'bridging' course for it before Uni starts. However, I would not recommend doing Biology over something you are better at/more interested in for the HSC especially if you are only doing 10 units. The only thing you consider doing purely for Med is UMAT, no other life choice should be dictated by your med dreams (except studying hard for high ATAR). That being said I'm regretting now not just keeping Biology and getting a bad mark (dropped it after yr11 to cut down for 10 units) because I need to catch up now in my spare time. For you, make sure you ask yourself whether you actually want to do Bio or not

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You don't NEED biology (always check the uni's prerequisites/assumed knowledge though) but IMO it definitely relates to medicine more than chemistry because you learn all about how the body functions, diseases, vaccinations, medicine, immune system, how the body is structured, and in the communication topic: how your eye is structured and function, hearing mechanisms, and also stuff like glasses, hearing aids, etc.

I don't really see how chem relates to medicine (except for chemicals in medicine) partly because I don't do chem but yeah, just pick what you like more.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You don't NEED biology (always check the uni's prerequisites/assumed knowledge though) but IMO it definitely relates to medicine more than chemistry because you learn all about how the body functions, diseases, vaccinations, medicine, immune system, how the body is structured, and in the communication topic: how your eye is structured and function, hearing mechanisms, and also stuff like glasses, hearing aids, etc.

I don't really see how chem relates to medicine (except for chemicals in medicine) partly because I don't do chem but yeah, just pick what you like more.
I don't claim to know Medicine. But what about subjects like: Biochemistry and Pharmacology? With a superficial knowledge or zero-knowledge of Chemistry, one might still be able to somehow get by, but one's understanding of the subject is somewhat a dodgy one. In my opinion, the 2 science subjects to do for Medicine are Biology and Chemistry. There are others with a extreme view who reckon you don't even need to have done any HSC science subject to do Medicine. I think, regardless of the formal need or otherwise for these, your knowledge of Medicine would be so much the better with these.

Maybe students currently doing Medicine may be able to shed some light on this area.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I Don't do med but chem is definitely more useful for biochem and pharm

in terms of bio, i don't think anything is useful, everything in the HSC is way too basic imo

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Broadly speaking, relevant subjects for studying the science in medicine are biology, then chemistry. Physics and calculus-level maths are nice to know, but not essential.

zhu0902

HSC
if you really do not have enough time to handle bio, you can apply bridging course in the university that give you offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)