Thread: Dilemma : Dropping chemistry or biology ?!

HSC
    N/A

Dilemma : Dropping chemistry or biology ?!

I'm currently in year 12 and i have 13 units (which i feel like is too many). I want to drop either Biology or Chemistry but i'm bad at both I failed my first chemistry task which was a practical (most did badly) and i got average marks for my bio practical. I feel like its more realistic for me to improve in Biology than in chemistry, but i'm afraid that i'm doing to many low-scaling subjects and won't achieve my 95+ atar goal.

I'm doing:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Ancient History
    Modern History
    Extension History
    General Maths 2
    Advanced English

I have tried to improve in Chemistry by trying out different tutors and coaching centres but i still struggle so much more than everyone else. I like both subjects (chemistry slightly more than biology) but i defintitely struggle more in chemistry. Is it better to be ranked 1-5/55 in biology or 30/70 for chemistry (still dont understand this scaling thing) ? And which subject do you think i should drop ? thanks guys xx

HSC

Re: Dilemma : Dropping chemistry or biology ?!

Bio barely scales lower than chem so if you think you'll do better in bio just stick with it, and also you can still get a 95 atar with low scaling subjects.

And yes 1-5 in bio would be better than 30th in chem (depending on number of band 6's in each)
    Last edited by pikachu975; 19 Feb 2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

HSC

Im going to say that if you can endure the hard work, and hopefully pull your rank up for chemistry - it is probably more worthwhile to do it over biology. Chemistry practicals were not my forte either as i found it hard to prepare for, so maybe just stick with both for the time being, and decide after your next theory assessment.
    Class of 2016

HSC Subjects: Physics, Economics, Advanced English, Extension 1 Mathematics, Extension 2 Mathematics

ATAR Goal: 88
    ATAR: 96.05
    2017 Uni: B. Psychology at USYD

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by glitterbug View Post
    Is it better to be ranked 1-5/55 in biology or 30/70 for chemistry (still dont understand this scaling thing) ? And which subject do you think i should drop ? thanks guys xx
    Check topscores.info and put in your school details to see the number of band6s for each subject. However a top 5 rank in bio is very likely to be better than 30/70 for chem. Bio scaling is only slightly worse than chem and your performance in exams (marks, ranks) are much, much more important than scaling.

In my opinion, you should keep both subjects for now and see how you go in the next exam(s).

When deciding what to drop, think about which subject you're doing better in/confident in for THEORY. Remember that you probably won't get a prac task ever again in Year 12, and nearly all of the remaining marks (especially the trials and HSC) will come from theory.

Best of luck
    Last edited by GeorgeYLin; 20 Feb 2017 at 1:40 AM.
    James Ruse Class of 2016 | 99.85 ATAR | Economics (98) 2nd in NSW | Biology (97) 8th in NSW | Mathematics (97) | Physics (95) | English Adv (94) |

Selling Premium Economics NOTES ($5) AND ESSAY PLANS (FREE SAMPLES and STATE-RANKING RESOURCES in thread)

I offer $30/h HSC economics tutoring!

HSC tutoring sign-up

Thread Information