Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By Zoinked
  • 1 Post By D94

Thread: Few questions about scaling/atar

HSC

Few questions about scaling/atar

Okay title says it all, here goes, i hope it makes sense lol:

1. Is your final mark the external mark you get + the rank for the external mark, but in terms of internal rank?
    Say a person has a bad rank and bad internal mark (but they go to, say, a top 50 school). IF they get good external mark, can their score be pushed up? So for example, say a person has a 75 internal mark, and they are ranked 30/35. If miraculously, they end up getting an 88 external mark, will this push their internal rank (thus internal mark) higher? What will happen in this situation. I'm a little confused.

2. Also, if people in your cohort get 100% for exams, does that mean the rest of the grade doesn't get scaled up?
    HSC 2017 = 3U Maths | Eng Adv | Eco | Bus | Phys
    The best way to predict the future is to create it

HSC

Re: Few questions about scaling/atar

1) Internal and external marks are added and divided by 2 for the average, e.g. 75 + 88 = 163/2 = 81.5 = 82 final mark.

2) It would boost your cohort up if the top end does well in the final HSC
    WildestDreams likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by WildestDreams View Post

1. Is your final mark the external mark you get + the rank for the external mark, but in terms of internal rank?
    Say a person has a bad rank and bad internal mark (but they go to, say, a top 50 school). IF they get good external mark, can their score be pushed up? So for example, say a person has a 75 internal mark, and they are ranked 30/35. If miraculously, they end up getting an 88 external mark, will this push their internal rank (thus internal mark) higher? What will happen in this situation. I'm a little confused.

2. Also, if people in your cohort get 100% for exams, does that mean the rest of the grade doesn't get scaled up?
    Personally I think too much time is wasted on this forum talking about this kinda stuff. BoS has disclosed every single thing that they do with our marks, if you want you can read it. However, you can't change anything that they do lol, just spend your time studying and doing the best you can
    Last edited by Zoinked; 8 Mar 2017 at 9:04 PM.
    Snowflek likes this.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by WildestDreams View Post

Read this, once informed, ask again if necessary. All the answers are available from BOSTES. No student should ever be confused if they read what's freely available.

State Ranking

Thread Information