Few questions about scaling/atar (1 Viewer)

WildestDreams

HSC
Okay title says it all, here goes, i hope it makes sense lol:

1. Is your final mark the external mark you get + the rank for the external mark, but in terms of internal rank?
Say a person has a bad rank and bad internal mark (but they go to, say, a top 50 school). IF they get good external mark, can their score be pushed up? So for example, say a person has a 75 internal mark, and they are ranked 30/35. If miraculously, they end up getting an 88 external mark, will this push their internal rank (thus internal mark) higher? What will happen in this situation. I'm a little confused.

2. Also, if people in your cohort get 100% for exams, does that mean the rest of the grade doesn't get scaled up?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
1) Internal and external marks are added and divided by 2 for the average, e.g. 75 + 88 = 163/2 = 81.5 = 82 final mark.

2) It would boost your cohort up if the top end does well in the final HSC

Zoinked

Beast
HSC

1. Is your final mark the external mark you get + the rank for the external mark, but in terms of internal rank?
Say a person has a bad rank and bad internal mark (but they go to, say, a top 50 school). IF they get good external mark, can their score be pushed up? So for example, say a person has a 75 internal mark, and they are ranked 30/35. If miraculously, they end up getting an 88 external mark, will this push their internal rank (thus internal mark) higher? What will happen in this situation. I'm a little confused.

2. Also, if people in your cohort get 100% for exams, does that mean the rest of the grade doesn't get scaled up?
Personally I think too much time is wasted on this forum talking about this kinda stuff. BoS has disclosed every single thing that they do with our marks, if you want you can read it. However, you can't change anything that they do lol, just spend your time studying and doing the best you can

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

Read this, once informed, ask again if necessary. All the answers are available from BOSTES. No student should ever be confused if they read what's freely available.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...017-hsc/360091/state-ranking.html#post7230497

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)