Subject selection - CHEM OR VA? (1 Viewer)

freejay

HSC
N/A
Hey just looking for some opinions on this. I currently do:
  • 4U math
  • 2U English
  • 3U Math
  • 2U Chem
  • 2U Visual Arts
  • and Accelerated Business - got an 96

With other extra corricular commitments piling up, I find it increasingly hard to manage all my subjects. I definitely want to drop to 8 units as I am confident with my time management to not waste the frees. I definitely have to keep the Maths and English so it's down to Visual Arts and Chemistry.
I enjoy Chem and Va equally and do not find either a bore. With both I believe I can achieve a what's considered good in it. I am just confused which subject is better for me to pour my time into. I know the general consensus is that VA will be low scaling but using the atar calculators (comparing HSC NINJA, MATRIX and TALENT100) they are saying starkly different things.
Just inputting in a 96 for VA and 93 for Chem HSC NINJA indicates Chem will count strongly over Va but Talent 100 indicates the complete opposite.

Any advice is appreciated

stopcrying

HSC
Usually people say to choose the subject you enjoy most or are more likely to do well in.
Considering you like them both equally i think keeping chemistry is the right choice

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did both chem and VA-and I will advise you to do chem-three reasons
1. It will help you in uni if you decide to pursue a science course-particularly chemistry related stuff
2. VA has a major work-which will TAKE UP A LOT OF YOUR TIME-given the main reason you want to drop subjects is to create more time, keeping VA seems counterproductive and you can do VA as a hobby
3. Unless you are not performing very well in VA, do CHEM

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd go with Chemistry over Visual Arts. Your major work is very subjective, so you may not be marked very highly externally or internally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)