Leniency for atar requirement (1 Viewer)

Snowflek

HSC
Hello! So I want to get into commerce or economics in Usyd or UNSW, and was just wondering how lenient are they with their atar cutoff? Like lets say for commerce, its 95 in usyd and 96 in unsw, if i achieve an atar of around 88 do you think they will still accept me?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Economics, yes, if you achieve the subject bonus points.

Snowflek

HSC
Economics, yes, if you achieve the subject bonus points.
Thing is, i don't do economics nor commerce haha. I just suddenly had an interest in the business side of the world so yeah.

stopcrying

HSC
I have the same goals as you and funnily enough i dont do business studies nor economics aswell!

If i dont get into commerce in USYD or UNSW, i plan to do economics in either uni and then transfer.

You could think of doing the same if you're eyes are set on those uni's but you could also consider going to uni's with lower cutoffs like UTS and Macquarie

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Well they dont drop below the cutoffs except in special circumstances. There are a lot of bonus point things that apply but they are stricter for those courses i.e. UNSW gave me 2 bonus points for combined actuarial because I had done my gold DoE. So ultimately it depends on your personal circumstance. This is what a careers advisor is for.

Mathew587

HSC
Well they dont drop below the cutoffs except in special circumstances. There are a lot of bonus point things that apply but they are stricter for those courses i.e. UNSW gave me 2 bonus points for combined actuarial because I had done my gold DoE. So ultimately it depends on your personal circumstance. This is what a careers advisor is for.
:awesome:

sourmilk

HSC
Honestly no.

Even with 1-2 below the cut-off they won't accept you due to the high demand of the course. I had friends miss out on B.Arts and they were 1 below the cut-off (this is UNSW) they're really anal about cut-offs, I was sure I was gonna get into this course because I was 4 points off but I didn't. Especially a course like commerce, you're in tough luck if you get low 90's in. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think bonus points work with commerce?

However, Macq uni has a commerce course with a 80 cut off.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
lol bonus points definately work just not academic bonus points generally. UNSW accepts a variety of stuff like elite athlete and performer etc. Sydney also has some concessions as well. Like I said before what your illegible for depends not only on your ATAR but your personal situation as well.

miss_a

HSC
N/A
Usyd gives some leniency in atar cutoffs, but an 88 ATAR might be stretching it. It also depends on the popularity of that course as well, the ATAR requirement changes a bit year to year. You could always consider getting in a course that is in the same department and then transfering the next year, which is easier than transfering between unis. I had a friend do that, she missed out on her ATAR by 0.5, but then again she was trying for law so theres that.

chickencoop

HSC
Unfortunately an 88 atar is a bit too unrealistic for both UNSW/USYD's standards, however, like as above; look to see where you may be able to obtain bonus points (if possible), or otherwise, pick a slightly related degree and hope to transfer into it 2nd/3rd year

Lopo

HSC
Any reason why you're thinking you'll be getting an ATAR of around 88? I was stressing that I was going to get a low 90s ATAR and then ended up getting 95 with guaranteed entry into comm/eco at unsw

Snowflek

HSC
Any reason why you're thinking you'll be getting an ATAR of around 88? I was stressing that I was going to get a low 90s ATAR and then ended up getting 95 with guaranteed entry into comm/eco at unsw
I dont know, i just feel like 95 atar is out of my reach. What subjects did you do?

Lopo

HSC
I did 2U + 3U Math, Standard Eng, Business, Economics and Bio. Honestly with the stuff you hear about how standard english is deadly to your ATAR around here, I definitely though 95 was out of my reach. Just keep going at it, your ATAR might still be very competitive in the end.

Snowflek

HSC
So i was looking at this, and that was why i was wondering if a atar of like 88 can get me into commerce or economics. Scroll down to the area where you can search courses and pick unis, and you are able to see the amount of people who didn't reach cut off.
I search usyd for economics, and it says 50% of the students did not achieve that required atar but still got accepted with a maximum of 10 atar points below (90 atar).
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html

Last edited:

shaffy33

HSC
How difficult to get into Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science at USYD, the guaranteed ATAR is 70

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)