Seriously, Ugent Help Please. ADV MATHS VS GENERAL (1 Viewer)

tloos

HSC
Alright, I need urgent help, because I am in some trouble. I have done two assessment tasks for two unit mathmatics, my marks were 45% and 30%. After getting back the 30% half yearly, my teachers has recommended that I drop to general. Whilst I am certain my marks will skyrocket for general maths and I will be getting very good marks, my problem lies with the debate on scaling. Does general maths score poorly, if so how poorly? Or does it in fact scale similar to two unit maths? I know that the max I will get for two unit would be around 60, but I know for general 85 will be minimum. The course I am doing come university, is the Bachelor of Accounting at UWS. On their website their is limited information on pre requisites, but does anyone know if two unit is a pre requisite for the course? If not I will drop straight to general as I have thought it it, but if I need two unit then I guess I have limited choice. I need assistance and advice from those with good knowledge of what I have asked, and ASAP.

THANKYOU

The Doozy

HSC
Hey mate,
Scaling can only take your so far and with marks like 45% and 30% I'd highly recommend dropping to general. An 85 in general is 100x times better than a 60 in 2 unit which if you continue to pursue 2 unit can be detrimental to your ATAR depending on how many units you have. Look on talent 100 etc and see for yourself general is by far the better option.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you'd be able to cope in accounting with just general mathematics.However I'd remind you not to go into general mathematics with the attitude that you'll definitely get 85+ as pride has crippled many people. I'd say drop in your circumstances.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Would have loved to offer some useful suggestions. But tloos has left things too late. If he has cried out for help 6 or more months earlier, there'd be some time to effect repair to his maths.

But this is not too late for those now in Year 10 and Yr 11 - if you feel your maths is not going too well, please do something about it while you still have time. Don't leave it to the last moment. Do whatever you can to improve your maths - by your own effort, with the help of your teacher or friends or a tutor. If you are getting 65 or less, do something about it before it is too late. Remember "A stitch in time saves nine!"

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I only have 5 weeks of uni experience, but so far the maths in Accounting is negligible, and moreso, its how you are able to apply knowledge and rules to equations. Finance 1A, one of the courses where there is a lack of 1st semester 1st years due to the difficulty of the course, can be done with general maths if you are simply good at recognising equations and questions.

General Maths is an entirely different beast that is lesser than the maths above it. It is easy in the sense that there are a lot of formulas which can easily answer questions, however their knowledge is much more applicable to general life and there is an expansion on financial maths. If you aren't good at financial maths but good at 4U, it is not exactly likely that you will be able to get 85s in General, due to the difference in questions you will be used to.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you'd be able to cope in accounting with just general mathematics.However I'd remind you not to go into general mathematics with the attitude that you'll definitely get 85+ as pride has crippled many people. I'd say drop in your circumstances.
I'm currently a third year accounting student and the maths is definitely doable for a strong general maths student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)