Subject Selection Review (1 Viewer)

card

HSC
N/A
Yo.
I'm in year 10 right now and we're choosing subjects for year 11 next year. I plan to do Medicine or an Allied Health at university and aiming for an atar of 97+ but school rank is in the 70s is it possible for me to get such an atar? What ranks do I need to acquire?

My subjects I have decided on:

• Advanced English
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Economics or Legal Studies or Business Studies
  • Mathematics
  • Mathematics Ext 1
  • English Ext 1

Total no. of units: 12

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Ext 2 English is only available in year 12.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, 97+ is certainly possible. You will need to be at the top, especially if you want to do medicine. You shouldn't aim for anything less.

card

HSC
N/A
Should I do economics, legal studies or business studies?
Considering scaling and how much content each sub has.

donkily

HSC
N/A
Is economics difficult?
wouldnt really say difficult but it is a lot of content and a large amount of memorisation and understanding of how this is applied to the real world (imo 2 topics in eco would be 3 modules and an "option" (same length as a module) in chemistry but again others may disagree with me but that's just my opinion)

sometimes (especially the multiple choice) they can easily trick you

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Yo.
I'm in year 10 right now and we're choosing subjects for year 11 next year. I plan to do Medicine or an Allied Health at university and aiming for an atar of 97+ but school rank is in the 70s is it possible for me to get such an atar? What ranks do I need to acquire?

My subjects I have decided on:

• Advanced English
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Economics or Legal Studies or Business Studies
  • Mathematics
  • Mathematics Ext 1
  • English Ext 1

Total no. of units: 12
Legal and Business are the most boring units ever, though if you don't mind just straight mindless rote learning, you could get good marks in both of them.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
just do econ. sooooo much better then legal or business
I beg to differ.

Legal studies is amazing. The content is really fun to learn and there are so many cases to learn about. It's more about learning information rather than maths sort of stuff, so it's be more relaxing.

I think Econ is part of the Asian 5... so yes it is a lot more challenging

card

HSC
N/A
Yeah I just ended up picking the Asian 5 subjects.
Will most definitely drop english ext. 1 though in year 12

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I just ended up picking the Asian 5 subjects.
Will most definitely drop english ext. 1 though in year 12
Maybe you will surprise yourself and enjoy Ext 1 haha-I had the same thought as you at the start of year 11-and I ended up keeping it for year 12 because I genuinely enjoyed the subject.

card

HSC
N/A
Maybe you will surprise yourself and enjoy Ext 1 haha-I had the same thought as you at the start of year 11-and I ended up keeping it for year 12 because I genuinely enjoyed the subject.
Nah I doubt it the school English department is terrible and I don't like English.

Last edited:

card

HSC
N/A
Apparently in year 11 and 12 my school has Saturday AND Sunday classes. Does this happen at other schools??
I've had Saturday classes since year 9, you learn a year ahead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is done so that students who do 2U maths, bio, physics complete the HSC exam by year 11 for those subjects.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently in year 11 and 12 my school has Saturday AND Sunday classes. Does this happen at other schools??
I've had Saturday classes since year 9, you learn a year ahead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is done so that students who do 2U maths, bio, physics complete the HSC exam by year 11 for those subjects.
I think having weekend classes is extremely unusual. Wow what kind of school is your school-sounds like it is for a bunch of geniuses who are all so smart. I haven't even heard of James Ruse having classes on weekends for this purpose.

card

HSC
N/A
I think having weekend classes is extremely unusual. Wow what kind of school is your school-sounds like it is for a bunch of geniuses who are all so smart. I haven't even heard of James Ruse having classes on weekends for this purpose.
It's private, it ranked 9th a loooooong time ago but then there was an influx in students leaving and the rank decreased soo much. The year 3's have NAPLAN classes on Saturdays lol so unnecessary imo. Not everyone has weekend classes though only the top students during year 9-12. I remember learning brief circle geometry in year 9 it was so annoying.

Last edited:

donkily

HSC
N/A
It's private, it ranked 7th a loooooong time ago but then there was an influx in students leaving and the rank decreased soo much. The year 3's have NAPLAN classes on Saturdays lol so unnecessary imo. Not everyone has weekend classes though only the top students during year 9-12. I remember learning brief circle geometry in year 9 it was so annoying.
dont they get burnt out from too much school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)