Questions on subjects, scaling, and 4U English (1 Viewer)

alicm

HSC
Hi, I'm a Year 11 student and my current subjects are:

• Advanced English
  • Extension English 1
  • Modern History
  • Legal Studies
  • Biology
  • PDHPE
  • French Beginners

For Year 12 I'm considering 4U English and dropping both PDHPE and Biology.
I want to drop PDHPE because I have no interest in it at all and only chose it because it was the best option out of all the other subjects on the line, and I want to drop Biology because it's probably my worst subject other than PDHPE. As you can probably tell, I'm not a maths or science person!

I have a few questions regarding the subjects that I'm considering for Y12:
  1. Generally, how well do the subjects (excluding 4U English) scale? I've heard that 4U English scales well but not any of my other subjects.
  2. Is 4U English difficult in terms of achieving top bands? I would consider myself good at English and one of the few top students (basing off of my rankings in previous years, 2nd out of 140 so students in Year 9 then dropping to 10th in Year 10 because of my mark in my yearly where I mistakenly wrote a speech on the assigned book which I did not read oops)
  3. Is it a good idea to drop to 10 units? I know that some people prefer to carry 12 units as the subject with the lowest mark isn't counted towards your ATAR.
  4. Is a 93 ATAR realistic for the subjects I'm choosing?

Sorry for the amount of questions and if some of them are dumb! I'm kind of overthinking and stressing out about my future now that half-yearlys are coming up. :uhoh:

Thanks in advance!

donkily

HSC
N/A
1. im certain 4u english scales well
2. since 4u english is a major work subject there is no moderation (from memory). according to 4u english students i know you have heaps of work to do including researching, drafting, editing, re-editing, writing up your reflection statement, etc
3. if there is a certain subject you dislike then yes drop to 10 subjects otherwise, id keep it because of safety reasons just in case you bomb out in 10 units
4. of course. just work hard and smart and learn from mistakes and im sure you'll get your desired atar

si2136

HSC
N/A
  1. Generally, how well do the subjects (excluding 4U English) scale? I've heard that 4U English scales well but not any of my other subjects.
    4U English scales quite well compared to other subjects. Just a bit below 3U Maths.
  2. Is 4U English difficult in terms of achieving top bands? I would consider myself good at English and one of the few top students (basing off of my rankings in previous years, 2nd out of 140 so students in Year 9 then dropping to 10th in Year 10 because of my mark in my yearly where I mistakenly wrote a speech on the assigned book which I did not read oops)
    You definitely need to put a lot of effort into it, make sure you are passionate about it because you don't want to be ditching it half way.
  3. Is it a good idea to drop to 10 units? I know that some people prefer to carry 12 units as the subject with the lowest mark isn't counted towards your ATAR.
    High Risk High Reward. It's your choice, I personally do 11 units but I might drop to 10 (Drop 3U Eng).
  4. Is a 93 ATAR realistic for the subjects I'm choosing?
    You can get any ATAR with any choice of subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)