Screwed up exam - How much do internal ranks count if the marks are very close? (1 Viewer)

trea99

HSC
Hey guys,

I just had a chemistry exam a few days ago which I messed up pretty bad. Expecting to drop like 7-8 marks whereas most people are saying they lost like 2 or 3 (not too many marks so each mark is worth a lot). I was coming 2/94 in chemistry (at a top 20 school) and I'm expecting my rank to drop quite a bit because this task has a significant weighting and everyone that's top 10 or so has very similar marks. The trials aren't worth too much so I don't think I'll be able to climb up too many ranks. How much will my external mark be affected because of scaling? Is the effect minimal if most people at your school get very similar marks?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If people get similar marks and the ranks are really close, assuming not many people above you screw up then it should be alright in terms of the assessment mark you get

trea99

HSC
So as long as the people ranked higher than me internally don't mess up the externals I should be good?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So as long as the people ranked higher than me internally don't mess up the externals I should be good?
Yeah and if they do good it could boost you as well because first place got 97 in english last year for us and it boosted people's assessment marks up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)