What subject should I drop for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

alicm

HSC
I'm currently in Year 11 and take the following subjects:
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1 English
  • Legal Studies
  • Modern History
  • Biology
  • French Beginners
  • PDHPE

For Year 12 i'm considering taking the following subjects:
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1 English
  • Extension 2 English
  • Legal Studies
  • Modern History
  • History Extension
  • Biology/French Beginners

I know that I definitely want to drop PDHPE but my trouble is deciding between whether to take Biology or French Beginners because they are both the subjects that i'm doing the least well in. I'm falling behind in French and I also don't really have the motivation for it, the fact that I learn through distance education doesn't help either. However, with biology my teacher doesn't teach anything and only assigns worksheets to do so i'm having trouble understanding and just generally struggling. Can anyone advise me on what I should drop?

stopcrying

HSC
serious answer: i'd drop french and keep bio for two main reasons
1. Learning a language requires constant practice in which you cannot necessarily utilize the notes of past students whereas in biology you can! Also on this note, biology is much more cram-able.
2. Biology has far superior scaling so despite you being the 'worst' in both french and biology, biology is likely much better in terms of HSC marks but this also depends on your school and ranks.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would probably keep bio and drop French because as you said you don't have much of an interest in the subject, which I imagine will affect your marks negatively since I assume learning a language will take a lot of time and effort.

alicm

HSC
serious answer: i'd drop french and keep bio for two main reasons
1. Learning a language requires constant practice in which you cannot necessarily utilize the notes of past students whereas in biology you can! Also on this note, biology is much more cram-able.
2. Biology has far superior scaling so despite you being the 'worst' in both french and biology, biology is likely much better in terms of HSC marks but this also depends on your school and ranks.
Thank you for your advice! I didn't know that biology scaled better than French, I thought they were both pretty similar in terms of scaling!

portia1605

HSC
drop french and keep bio- french beginners doesn't scale as well as french continuers or as bio. for bio, there are resources all over the internet, but none for french trust me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)