How much do internals really affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

sdyk

HSC
Hey guys,
So after not performing the best that I could internally (mainly in trials too after losing motivation), it has made me a bit worried about if it will affect my atar. Trials have really been a wake up call for me and I know that I will work extremely hard for the HSC because I know my potential. However, even if I do really well in the HSC, will my internal marks prevent me from achieving a good atar?

FYI my school is top 20.
Not positive what all my ranks are as our school doesn't tend to give them to us:

Adv English: don't give us ranks except i roughly get high B's which seems to be the average
General Maths: 12/41
Bio: roughly 35/50
Business: not entirely sure but somewhere in the middle
Modern: ~top 5 out of 57
Chem: 43/48 but probably will not count as I have 12 units

Is there still hope to get an ATAR of 90+?
Also, any tips for studying between end of trials and HSC?

Sp3ctre

HSC
Internals and externals are each worth 50% of your ATAR. As long as you didn't do too badly in your internals you should be fine for the HSC, your trial marks are usually just an indication of what you need to work on more to improve your HSC marks.

Mathew587

HSC
Your internal marks dictates your rank and consequently which highest HSC mark you'll get. That is it.
For example, you're ranked 12th in general so you'll recieve the 12th highest mark in the HSC by the cohort, whether it's yours so not, for the internal section worth 50% of your marks.
The other 50% will be your own so internal's do have a very big impact on your scores.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Although HSC internals are 50% of your total HSC, I think that most of your HSC marks comes from externals (at least 75%) mainly because for internals everyone fights for ranks and for externals everyone works together do then the whole cohort is boosted

If u came last in English for internals but came first for the external, you're overall mark will be dragged down a lot because of poor internal rank

e.g. if last got 70 for English Adv for HSC external but you got 100 for HSC external, you'd get 87-88/100 for English

andrew12678

HSC
Depends on the school, at some of the top schools you just have to be 'there abouts' if you wanted a high band 6 and improving your rank from top 20 to top 5 would probably only affect you by 1 or 2 internal marks-for these situations I would argue internals doesn't matter as much but I would also heed caution because not every school is like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)