Will second overtake first place? (1 Viewer)

cloud edwards

HSC
So, our class has finished our last exams and i came out first in my class for 2 unit maths.
My average mark is 91% and second is 75% with the class average being 55.
number of people in class: 13

Can the second person overtake me? Because i've heard that coming first means that they get to take the highest exam mark whatsoever to keep the rankings the same.

Don't know if this would help but we're first and second for legal too.
Me (first): overall:85
second: overall 84
Class average 80
number of people in class: 8

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll get an mark based on your performance in the external HSC exam, and one for 'internals' which is your assessment mark.

Those two marks will be averaged together to give you an overall mark.

The person who performs best externally sets the assessment mark, if you rank first then you'll get this for your internal assessment mark.

Each person also receives a mark based on their performance in the HSC external examinations.

Snowflek

HSC
If youre talking bout the final HSC, then i think yes (or maybe no for this case as the mark discrepancy is hugeeeeee). Cause ik someone who was second for their subject and got state rank but the ranked 1 person didn't.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Would suggest that if first cannot work out the maths in this question, then first does not deserve to be first.

Depends what you mean by "first". You have come first in the school assessment. Nothing can reverse that. However, you both sit the same HSC. Second could go brialliant and you could have a shocker.

If your definition of "first" is the sum of your assessment and exam, then second could overtake you

cloud edwards

HSC
Would suggest that if first cannot work out the maths in this question, then first does not deserve to be first.

Depends what you mean by "first". You have come first in the school assessment. Nothing can reverse that. However, you both sit the same HSC. Second could go brialliant and you could have a shocker.

If your definition of "first" is the sum of your assessment and exam, then second could overtake you
Ok, so i'm really bad with all these terminology but i hope this makes sense and correct me where i'm wrong.

So say for the legal marks, if I got in the HSC EXAM 85 and second got like 95, will her 'overall' mark be higher than mine?

And according to my friend, the person ranked first from all the school assessments and tests, gets the top exam mark? So if this is true, doesn't that mean first also will claim the top exam mark of 95? Or is this theory i got told wrong.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok, so i'm really bad with all these terminology but i hope this makes sense and correct me where i'm wrong.

So say for the legal marks, if I got in the HSC EXAM 85 and second got like 95, will her 'overall' mark be higher than mine?

And according to my friend, the person ranked first from all the school assessments and tests, gets the top exam mark? So if this is true, doesn't that mean first also will claim the top exam mark of 95? Or is this theory i got told wrong.
The person with the highest school mark (i.e. first), for their assessment mark, that will be equal to the highest exam mark of any student. They still keep their exam mark, whether good or bad.

Second can still end up with a higher overall mark. You still need to do well in your exam.

A1P

HSC
And according to my friend, the person ranked first from all the school assessments and tests, gets the top exam mark? So if this is true, doesn't that mean first also will claim the top exam mark of 95?
There should be a large banner on BoS to tell everyone that, they only get the top (or corresponding) exam mark to substitute for their internal mark. So many students think it's what they get for their exam/final HSC mark.

cloud edwards

HSC
The person with the highest school mark (i.e. first), for their assessment mark, that will be equal to the highest exam mark of any student. They still keep their exam mark, whether good or bad.

Second can still end up with a higher overall mark. You still need to do well in your exam.
OH, now I get it, Thanks so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)