Scaling (1 Viewer)

Cena123

HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm really confused about this whole scaling process.
Is it wrong for me to put my raw overall internal marks into an atar calculator?
Or am I supposed to scale these marks (maybe according to previous years) and then enter these into an atar calculator?

Thanks

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Usually raw internal marks from the school don't count so just think of what mark you could get in HSC as a raw mark then align that up and enter that

Cena123

HSC
N/A
Usually raw internal marks from the school don't count so just think of what mark you could get in HSC as a raw mark then align that up and enter that
So basically, if I reckon I could get 80 raw in 3u, I would align it to 90ish and then enter that in?

shehan123

HSC
N/A
Would also depend on the difficulty of the exam, 3u usually aligns really well so yea about right

Cena123

HSC
N/A
Would also depend on the difficulty of the exam, 3u usually aligns really well so yea about right
Even though this may be an extreme assumption, would doing this for my internals provide me with a good range for the potential atar I could get? (like maybe +/- 3 or 4)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Even though this may be an extreme assumption, would doing this for my internals provide me with a good range for the potential atar I could get? (like maybe +/- 3 or 4)
No cause some schools boost up internals by a lot or don't boost it at all

jjHasm

HSC
I know for a fact that my school doesn't boost it up.

So is it then acceptable to make such estimates?
It doesn't matter about your raw internal mark. Ranking is all that matters to NESA. If let's say for Subject A you are coming 1st, with e.g. 55 avg, and your school traditionally gets 1 band 6 for subject A, then ye, make the assumption that you will get 90+ for the subject on the atar calculator.

Another example: Subject B, you are coming 3rd, but for only 2 band 6s a year from your school - make the assumption that you will get maybe close to a band 6, (mid-high band 5), and enter that into the atar calculator.

It's a much more complicated process ofc when you consider your whole cohort. But to put it as simply as possible, if your internal raw mark is ranked 3rd, it will "boost" to the 3rd best HSC external mark.

jjHasm

HSC
It doesn't matter about your raw internal mark. Ranking is all that matters to NESA. If let's say for Subject A you are coming 1st, with e.g. 55 avg, and your school traditionally gets 1 band 6 for subject A, then ye, make the assumption that you will get 90+ for the subject on the atar calculator.

Another example: Subject B, you are coming 3rd, but for only 2 band 6s a year from your school - make the assumption that you will get maybe close to a band 6, (mid-high band 5), and enter that into the atar calculator.

It's a much more complicated process ofc when you consider your whole cohort. But to put it as simply as possible, if your internal raw mark is ranked 3rd, it will "boost" to the 3rd best HSC external mark.
3rd best alligned HSC mark (e.g. 80 in 3u usually --> low 90s)

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
Hey, I'm really confused about this whole scaling process.
Is it wrong for me to put my raw overall internal marks into an atar calculator?
Or am I supposed to scale these marks (maybe according to previous years) and then enter these into an atar calculator?

Thanks
Put aligned marks into it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)