Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By jjHasm

Thread: Scaling

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Scaling

Hey, I'm really confused about this whole scaling process.
    Is it wrong for me to put my raw overall internal marks into an atar calculator?
    Or am I supposed to scale these marks (maybe according to previous years) and then enter these into an atar calculator?

Thanks

HSC

Re: Scaling

Usually raw internal marks from the school don't count so just think of what mark you could get in HSC as a raw mark then align that up and enter that
    Cena123 likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Usually raw internal marks from the school don't count so just think of what mark you could get in HSC as a raw mark then align that up and enter that
    So basically, if I reckon I could get 80 raw in 3u, I would align it to 90ish and then enter that in?

HSC
    N/A

Would also depend on the difficulty of the exam, 3u usually aligns really well so yea about right

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by shehan123 View Post
    Would also depend on the difficulty of the exam, 3u usually aligns really well so yea about right
    Even though this may be an extreme assumption, would doing this for my internals provide me with a good range for the potential atar I could get? (like maybe +/- 3 or 4)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Cena123 View Post
    Even though this may be an extreme assumption, would doing this for my internals provide me with a good range for the potential atar I could get? (like maybe +/- 3 or 4)
    No cause some schools boost up internals by a lot or don't boost it at all
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    No cause some schools boost up internals by a lot or don't boost it at all
    I know for a fact that my school doesn't boost it up.

So is it then acceptable to make such estimates?

Cadet
    HSC

I know for a fact that my school doesn't boost it up.

So is it then acceptable to make such estimates?
    It doesn't matter about your raw internal mark. Ranking is all that matters to NESA. If let's say for Subject A you are coming 1st, with e.g. 55 avg, and your school traditionally gets 1 band 6 for subject A, then ye, make the assumption that you will get 90+ for the subject on the atar calculator.

Another example: Subject B, you are coming 3rd, but for only 2 band 6s a year from your school - make the assumption that you will get maybe close to a band 6, (mid-high band 5), and enter that into the atar calculator.

It's a much more complicated process ofc when you consider your whole cohort. But to put it as simply as possible, if your internal raw mark is ranked 3rd, it will "boost" to the 3rd best HSC external mark.
    Cena123 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jjHasm View Post
    It doesn't matter about your raw internal mark. Ranking is all that matters to NESA. If let's say for Subject A you are coming 1st, with e.g. 55 avg, and your school traditionally gets 1 band 6 for subject A, then ye, make the assumption that you will get 90+ for the subject on the atar calculator.

Another example: Subject B, you are coming 3rd, but for only 2 band 6s a year from your school - make the assumption that you will get maybe close to a band 6, (mid-high band 5), and enter that into the atar calculator.

It's a much more complicated process ofc when you consider your whole cohort. But to put it as simply as possible, if your internal raw mark is ranked 3rd, it will "boost" to the 3rd best HSC external mark.
    3rd best alligned HSC mark (e.g. 80 in 3u usually --> low 90s)

HSC

Hey, I'm really confused about this whole scaling process.
    Is it wrong for me to put my raw overall internal marks into an atar calculator?
    Or am I supposed to scale these marks (maybe according to previous years) and then enter these into an atar calculator?

Thanks
    Put aligned marks into it
    2017 Prelim
    // Economics // Physics // Mathematics // Maths Extension 1 // English Advanced // Chemistry // Business Studies //

2018 HSC

// Economics // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced // Chemistry //

Thread Information