What does this mean for my ATAR? (1 Viewer)

niabarnett

HSC
So, I accelerated Biology and Chemistry last year- got an overall mark of 86 (rank 3/13) and 79 (rank 5/11) respectively.
This year, I'm taking English (Adv.), Maths 2U, Maths 3U and Visual Arts.

My ranks are:
English (1/2) - avg. raw assessment mark 78
Maths 2U (1/1) - avg. raw assessment mark 89
Maths 3U (1/1) - avg. raw assessment mark 83
Visual Arts (1/6) - avg. raw assessment mark 98

So, what could this mean for my ATAR? How does alignment/moderation/scaling work if you are the only student taking a course? What could I possibly end up with?

I'd estimate that I got a raw HSC exam mark around 78-83 for English, around 86-87 for 2U (would've done much better, I was getting 94-98 raw in past HSCs, but I kinda bombed the exam) and no clue about 3U/Art (although I think I might end up with mid-80s raw for 3U and probably 98-100 for Art, 49-50/50 for my BOW and 48-50/50 for the written exam).

Last edited:

Eluate

HSC
So, what could this mean for my ATAR? How does alignment/moderation/scaling work if you are the only student taking a course? What could I possibly end up with?
If you are the only student in the course, or the first in the course, you will get the highest HSC exam mark from the cohort.
If you are the only person, your cohort exists of one person.

The assessment mark will be moderated to your exam mark in the circumstance of you being the only one doing the course.

niabarnett

HSC
I'm just confused as to what this means in regards to my assessment mark - since I am the only student taking 2U/3U, there is no way to align/moderate them with respect to the HSC. Do you think I'll end up with my exam mark being my assessment mark as well, since it's technically as if an entire cohort of students received these marks?

niabarnett

HSC
If you are the only student in the course, or the first in the course, you will get the highest HSC exam mark from the cohort.
If you are the only person, your cohort exists of one person.

The assessment mark will be moderated to your exam mark in the circumstance of you being the only one doing the course.
^ Forgot to quote you above, sorry!

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm just confused as to what this means in regards to my assessment mark - since I am the only student taking 2U/3U, there is no way to align/moderate them with respect to the HSC. Do you think I'll end up with my exam mark being my assessment mark as well, since it's technically as if an entire cohort of students received these marks?
Yes there is - it's your own HSC exam mark. In a cohort of 1, all that matters is your HSC exam mark.

niabarnett

HSC
Yes there is - it's your own HSC exam mark. In a cohort of 1, all that matters is your HSC exam mark.
That's what I assumed, since it's technically the same as if a cohort of 50 students were to all receive an internal mark of, let's say, 80, and then go on to receive 95s in their HSC, which would prove that an 80 for that school's assessments is the equivalent of a 95 in the HSC (and therefore that internal mark would align to match the external).

Thanks for clearing that up!

niabarnett

HSC
Also, if I were to hypothetically receive a raw 70/70 for 3U, would that mean I would automatically state rank (since my internal assessment mark would be the equivalent of a perfect raw mark) or would that also depend on my 2U result?

D94

HSC
N/A
Also, if I were to hypothetically receive a raw 70/70 for 3U, would that mean I would automatically state rank (since my internal assessment mark would be the equivalent of a perfect raw mark) or would that also depend on my 2U result?
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/TAINC_2016_12.html

If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):

take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place
take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places
if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.

It will depend on your 2U marks and others' 4U marks. I'd say those doing 3U+4U would take priority over 2U+3U students.

niabarnett

HSC
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/TAINC_2016_12.html

If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):

take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place
take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places
if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.

It will depend on your 2U marks and others' 4U marks. I'd say those doing 3U+4U would take priority over 2U+3U students.
That makes sense.
Also, I doubt that my 2U mark would be high enough to be of any benefit (looking at 87 raw, so maybe around 92 scaled?) especially when compared to 4U marks. In all honestly, I have little to no chance at a 70/70 anyways for 3U but I was pretty curious to know so thanks for the response!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)