95+ atar panic!!! (1 Viewer)

Quantum_

HSC
Hello fellow peers,
A bit of background information, about me, first:
I am in year 10 and really want a 95+ ATAR so I can study Advanced Science (Hons). I have been overly panicked throughout the last few days, involving nightmares, panic attacks and random self deprecating thoughts about the HSC. Truth is, I never participated in selective, due to my primary ideology of studying in a non-stressful environment, but later on I think I've come across its repercussions. Although I may be doing well at school, achieving a 100% in both Maths and Science, my fear is that my school's rank is going to 'scale' me down. I've almost prevented myself from acknowledging my performance by instilling my growing opinion that the only reason I achieve 100% consistently is due to my school's academic performance. Although I may have a decent degree of self confidence, my main fear is that I am going to get a bad ATAR due to fear and panic. I also have social anxiety which makes me sweat (A LOT) and I am worried that I am, quite literally, going to drown my HSC paper. Aside from that, my main interests are science, pure maths and quantum mechanics (of course not in a professional level, only conceptual ideas). I have also had prior issues involving a low self esteem due to me thinking that I have an average IQ and that the concepts that I understand can be understood by an average mind (not that that's bad or anything, I just used to consider myself as an intelligent person) and I am just a pseudo-intellectual. This brought up struggles when I study at school and being overly competitive to almost falsely 'convince' my mind that I am intelligent. Now, I have grown from those past fears and have realised that as long as I study hard I can achieve greater than any true genius. However, my stability has now begun to fluctuate since I started pondering about my new arising fear: not achieving well in the HSC and not getting into my course. My question is: based on the extrapolation of my performance, scaling it to the toughness of the HSC and my school, is it possible for me to achieve a 95+ ATAR? Also, I don't do very well in English mainly because what I write in essays is unorthodox and even though I pre-plan it, I find it hard to remember when my mind is having severe anxiety attacks and I'm sweating a lot. If you've read this far, I applaud your patience and thank you! Please be kind as this is my first time posting. :)

StringyCheese

HSC
First off, calm down you're only in year 10!

In terms of your school's rank, it is definitely possible to achieve 95+ as long as you work hard and consistently. If your school's rank is not very high then you need to maintain your subject ranks towards the top.

My teacher always said no amount of scaling will save you from a bad mark. Any subject no matter the scaling will reap good marks if you put in the effort. So as I said before 95+ is achievable.

To handle your stress and anxiety make sure to stay organised throughout the year. More preparation will help. Perhaps talk to someone if it gets out of hand at times or you feel way too overwhelmed :) Take frequent study breaks as well to avoid burnout and have a balance between social life and study

For English the only way to improve is to write essays and get feedback on them. If you find memorising is too hard, try memorising a few quotes and lines of analysis rather than whole essays. If you already do that but it doesn't work, then honestly know your content very well or spend more time revising. Perhaps write practice intros? As I said preparation will help with nerves and anxiety.

Also, make sure to check out which subjects will give you bonus points! I know UNSW has plenty of subjects that have bonus points for advanced science.

Frostguard

HSC
I would tell you to not stress, calm down and all that sort of stuff, but that would be insensitive, but I will tell you this, you must rid yourself of this negative mindset, go therapy or counselling, anything if you can to remove yourself of this toxic mentality because it's preventing you from being the best you can be. Your mathematical and scientific skills are fine enough, I'm sure you've chosen subjects like Maths Ext, Physics and Chemistry and while I would say don't worry about English, you gotta because it's the moderator. The thing is about the new English syllabus, it's a double edged sword, you'll be the first year to trial the new HSC and all the new modules and I think markers will be lenient but at the same time you have no resources or stuff to prepare yourself. Do you go to English tutor? If you don't, take up them classes and start preparing how to write good essays seeing your writing is unorthodox, study with friends by making study groups and most of all do not burn out, I mean it, don't drown yourself in content and past papers to compensate for your social anxiety. You need a healthy hey mindset and that includes taking a walk, that stuff does wonders for your psychological health, whilst between exam periods, I suggest getting up and taking a walk or do some form of exercise where you aren't constricted to effectively draining yourself in notes and that sorta stuff and as long as your mind is clear, you shouldn't have panic attacks.

As for your 95 ATAR goal, as long as you come first in your subjects or at least top 3, you won't be as affected but I stress again, you gotta help out other people in your cohort so the standard deviation of marks is not too wide spread, enough to ruin marks. Make new friends coz in your Preliminary and HSC course, you will have new classes so I suggest making as many friends as you can so you can cope. These people are here for you and will try to help boost your marks. You don't have to burden yourself with so many expectations, I'm conscientious too but I won't allow my competitive nature to get the best of me and you mustn't let that take away your sanity and wellbeing. Your mental health is of utmost importance to your educational performance. Just know that your friends, peers, teachers and family are there for you and it's not the end of world if you mess up.

Good Luck and stay strong buddy! :hug2:

mmm345

HSC
You have nothing to worry about...

If you come first, and by the sounds of things if ur gettin 100% u will,ur cohort will have no affect on you.

Yet, if ur not coming first and ur getting 100% then ur fine because obvisouly the people above u are even smarter... thus they will pull u up.

Savas_P

HSC
wow!! for some reason I though you were panicking because you are actually doing the HSC and not in year 10.....

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello fellow peers,
A bit of background information, about me, first:
I am in year 10 and really want a 95+ ATAR so I can study Advanced Science (Hons)(good u have a goal). I have been overly panicked throughout the last few days, involving nightmares, panic attacks and random self deprecating thoughts about the HSC.ur only in year 10 forget about the atar for now and just try to figure out how you study best in year 11 since those marks don’t djreckty affect ur atar. However, still try to put in effort as u would in year 12) Truth is, I never participated in selective ( don’t have to be in a selective school for a good atar), due to my primary ideology of studying in a non-stressful environment, but later on I think I've come across its repercussions. Although I may be doing well at school, achieving a 100% in both Maths and Science, my fear is that my school's rank is going to 'scale' me down (if ur ranked high in ur class this won’t matter). I've almost prevented myself from acknowledging my performance by instilling my growing opinion that the only reason I achieve 100% consistently is due to my school's academic performance. Although I may have a decent degree of self confidence, my main fear is that I am going to get a bad ATAR due to fear and panic. I also have social anxiety which makes me sweat (A LOT) and I am worried that I am, quite literally, going to drown my HSC papernot sure what this has to do with social anxiety since that’s social interactions and not with an exam. Still it’s natural to be stressed but not too ur extent. Aside from that, my main interests are science, pure maths and quantum mechanics (of course not in a professional level, only conceptual ideas). I have also had prior issues involving a low self esteem due to me thinking that I have an average IQ and that the concepts that I understand can be understood by an average mind (not that that's bad or anything, I just used to consider myself as an intelligent person) and I am just a pseudo-intellectual. This brought up struggles when I study at school and being overly competitive to almost falsely 'convince' my mind that I am intelligent. although getting a 99 atar probably has some indication of iq l, my friend who will admit himself isn’t naturally smart worked hard and got a high 97 atar Now, I have grown from those past fears and have realised that as long as I study hard I can achieve greater than any true genius. However, my stability has now begun to fluctuate since I started pondering about my new arising fear: not achieving well in the HSC and not getting into my course. There are also bonus points at many units on top of atArMy question is: based on the extrapolation of my performance, scaling it to the toughness of the HSC and my school, is it possible for me to achieve a 95+ ATAR?yes Also, I don't do very well in English mainly because what I write in essays is unorthodox and even though I pre-plan it, I find it hard to remember when my mind is having severe anxiety attacks and I'm sweating a lot practice more in exam conditions to reduce thus. If you've read this far, I applaud your patience and thank you! Please be kind as this is my first time posting. :)
also maybe consider visiting a councillor or psychologist. They will tell you techniques on how to reduce stress and anxiety

Quantum_

HSC
Thanks all of you for your support, you have no idea how much this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)