Raw marks for lowest state rank? (1 Viewer)

anton93

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what raw mark you need to get a 20th/10th/5th state rank in different subjects (I know it changes year to year but I'm guessing there's some rough value).
In particular,
Bio, chem, phys
A lot of people are saying a raw mark of ~90-93 will get you a state rank but idk after most exams quite a few people tend to say that it was easy so its hard to believe that there aren't more than 20 people getting over 93% raw. I know that for Phys, Chem and Bio the cutoffs tend to be 96/97 HSC Mark but if I'm not mistaken don't a few of raw marks align to 96 (say 90-92 will all align to 96?).

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For the sciences its usually a low-mid 90 these days (used to be low but cohort strengths just seem to keep on improving I would say and some exams have been easier lately).

For the top five probably higher though

trea99

HSC
I think I lost 3 in bio and maybe another like 2-4 marks depending on how strict the marking for short answers are. Do you think a 93-95 raw has a chance to state rank biology (1st internal as well)?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I think I lost 3 in bio and maybe another like 2-4 marks depending on how strict the marking for short answers are. Do you think a 93-95 raw has a chance to state rank biology (1st internal as well)?
Yeah it's possible. Just be like mindful though sometimes in the HSC exams u do don't do as well as u expect in some and better in others. In my experience I had a predicted state rank for Chemistry (getting like high 90s in CSSA and trials, and first in matrix term tests and way in front of everyone in my school), but on the day rip lol just did some stupid shit and got screwed over (because my school I was ranked one and ahead by a lot so no one could carry my one fk up so HSC practically decided 100% of my mark), while in English was expecting like a 94, 95 max and somehow got a 97 and just missed out on the state rank

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Could possibly scrape a state rank since the exam was a bit easier than previous years where 91 raw was a state rank for 20th

anton93

HSC
N/A
Yeah same, I think I might've gotten somewhere in the low-mid 90s raw for bio. A lot of people were saying the exam was easy (not sure what they mean by easy) so idk it's really hard to tell. I saw some people with 96 HSC mark state rank bio last year idk what their raw external was though (surely less than 96 unless their internal was low).

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah same, I think I might've gotten somewhere in the low-mid 90s raw for bio. A lot of people were saying the exam was easy (not sure what they mean by easy) so idk it's really hard to tell. I saw some people with 96 HSC mark state rank bio last year idk what their raw external was though (surely less than 96 unless their internal was low).
Yeah seems like some 96 get it and some don't, since my friend got a 96 bio but missed out last year, (97 for English too some people got it I didn't sadly)

trea99

HSC
Tbh, bio felt similar to every other year in recent times. Got around 17-20 for previous years in MC, think I got 18 this year. Short answer was the same as every year, typical straight from syllabus questions except for the typical 7/8 marker at the end of core which I thought was probably "harder" than most years. So Imo at least, Bio was very similar to previous years not easier (if harder or easier only by the tiniest margin).

anton93

HSC
N/A
Tbh, bio felt similar to every other year in recent times. Got around 17-20 for previous years in MC, think I got 18 this year. Short answer was the same as every year, typical straight from syllabus questions except for the typical 7/8 marker at the end of core which I thought was probably "harder" than most years. So Imo at least, Bio was very similar to previous years not easier (if harder or easier only by the tiniest margin).
Yeah, seemed similar to me too.
Oh well, just gotta wait and see. Also thanks pikachu and jazz!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Idk just felt like 2016 had more application, for example the Mendel with plant parts, their 8 marker was harder but this might be biased because we had the same Beadle and Tatum 8 marker in our trial, but our multiple choice was easier (at least the first 10 were).

anton93

HSC
N/A
Yeah either way I wouldn't say there was anything particularly different about this paper to other years, just a focus on different topics I guess. There was a lot of genetics in this exam or maybe I'm saying that because I did the genetics option. Overall though, standard paper imo

MickeyB99

HSC
Uni Grad
In IPT state rankers traditionally receive a raw mark of somewhere between 93-97. Honestly I would just relax and not think about it too much. Just enjoy the summer break!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
In IPT state rankers traditionally receive a raw mark of somewhere between 93-97. Honestly I would just relax and not think about it too much. Just enjoy the summer break!
Yeah usually depends on the difficulty of the paper

MickeyB99

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah usually depends on the difficulty of the paper
Any idea what this years state rank cutoff would be? I got a first internal for IPT and an external of in the low 90s (I'm hoping)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)