captainneuro

HSC
starting y12 next year, was wondering how do my classes scale? currently doing:

math methods
chemistry
biology
english
earth environmental science
your best scaling sub is chem, and worst scaling sub is earth environmental sci. All your subs generally scale well (in your favour depending how well you do), just do a bit better in eng and E&E sci as those are your worst scaling

dgt20

HSC
your best scaling sub is chem, and worst scaling sub is earth environmental sci. All your subs generally scale well (in your favour depending how well you do), just do a bit better in eng and E&E sci as those are your worst scaling
how bad does earth science scale? also my teacher said its a new course coming to our school so there was no score from last year so our score can't be dropped down or anything. not sure what he exactly meant by this but is this true?

captainneuro

HSC
how bad does earth science scale? also my teacher said its a new course coming to our school so there was no score from last year so our score can't be dropped down or anything. not sure what he exactly meant by this but is this true?
I didn't do the subject in year 12, but from what i've heard it scales a bit, if you do bad, will drag you down but is okay in scaling if you do well. This is due to the perception that it's easy to get high raw marks in the sub, but im not sure. However i know that since you want an 85 atar, low band 5's for all your subs, high band 4 in chem and high band 5 (86+) for E&E Sci will be sufficient. (As you can tell, you're needing to get higher in E&E to be safe)

Last edited:

dgt20

HSC
Okay thanks! Also does year 11 score count towards atar or only year 12?

captainneuro

HSC
Okay thanks! Also does year 11 score count towards atar or only year 12?
No, only year 12 counts. Nothing from year 11 (in terms of results/marks/ranks wise) count towards your HSC marks or atar.

dgt20

HSC
So i could of done shit in year 11 and it wouldnt have affected my atar?

captainneuro

HSC
Yes you could have done terrible in year 11 and it wouldn’t affect your atar as all marks/ranks of students reset after the end of year 11. Before year 12 starts, everyone is on an equal scale (line). Not one person is higher than the other ranks wise. Then when year 12 starts, that’s when competition kicks in. And that site is talking about major, minor, double major, etc courses which I’m unsure of as I’m not from ACT. Just know you’re eligible for an atar with your current subjects that are also decent in scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)