year 11 count? (1 Viewer)

dgt20

HSC
Hey im from ACT (canberra), does your year 11 score count towards your ATAR or is it only year 12 (unit 3 & 4)?

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so now that I am looking at the ACT curriculum (since I dont go to ACT, I am not the most educated person in this question) I am pretty sure that year 11 does count but don't take my word for this, I think it woild probably be better of you just went and looked at the syllabus for your subjects of interest and see if they do count

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
You would be the best answer but I believe that the way the HSC runs in ACT is similar to NSW.
Some course content may carry on to Year 12 but Year 11 results do not count towards your final HSC mark.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Overall: I kept going from one side to another but now I can say with a degree of certainty that year 11 does in fact count unlike HSC where it doesn't, read below if you are bothered, its just me going back and forth but essential the 1.5 units from your courses in year 11 will count out of the 2 units you do

You would be the best answer but I believe that the way the HSC runs in ACT is similar to NSW.
Some course content may carry on to Year 12 but Year 11 results do not count towards your final HSC mark.
Yeah looking it at the third time,

ACT requirements.PNG

seems pretty similar to the HSC,

yr 11 NSW.PNG
yr 12 NSW.PNG

Comparatively ACT:
yr 11 &12 ACT.PNG

(Note they are all based off biology)

As can be seen, only two 'units' of the course count at ACT so the work from year 11 will not necessarily count towards your ATAR however it is still important (obviously) in circumstances such as some units being necessary to do other units.

Edit1: Don't worry about the major minor and double major that has to do with combining previously accredited biology course and is not the case for most courses, also if your confused by any part of what I said, say so cause I'll be able to explain it (probably)

Edit2: Honestly I think it will be better if you just look at the BSSS site mainly these pages:
http://www.bsss.act.edu.au/curriculum/australian_curriculum
http://www.bsss.act.edu.au/curriculum/australian_curriculum(look through specific subjects you are doing), but if you're still confused then yeah just re-read edit1

Edit3: Okay I was just about to tell you your best option would be to ask your teacher but then I just looked at your other thread so that wouldn't really be a good idea haha :angryfire:
Also I just realised isn't that valuable so this is how it is.

You are currently math methods, chemistry, biology, English, and earth environmental science which all require 3.5 units to major in and 2 units to minor in. For your atar your best 3 subjects you majored in will be counted and 0.6 of the next best subject which can be either a minor or major. This means essentially that year 11 unlike NSW does count but only 1.5 units out of the generally designated 2 units in that year (I don't know how that works but I guess it does). I don't think it is that unfair though because you only need to focus on four out of your five subjects and one of those four subjects don't get affected if you plan on doing a minor instead of a major in that one.

So yeah I guess your teacher is right, year 11 does count but only 1.5 units of it, unless of course there is a way to do an extra 1.5 units during year 12 (this would have to be combined in the same course you are doing so doing other subjects wouldn't work)

Last edited:

dgt20

HSC
Overall: I kept going from one side to another but now I can say with a degree of certainty that year 11 does in fact count unlike HSC where it doesn't, read below if you are bothered, its just me going back and forth but essential the 1.5 units from your courses in year 11 will count out of the 2 units you do

Yeah looking it at the third time,

View attachment 34366

seems pretty similar to the HSC,

View attachment 34367
View attachment 34368

Comparatively ACT:
View attachment 34369

(Note they are all based off biology)

As can be seen, only two 'units' of the course count at ACT so the work from year 11 will not necessarily count towards your ATAR however it is still important (obviously) in circumstances such as some units being necessary to do other units.

Edit1: Don't worry about the major minor and double major that has to do with combining previously accredited biology course and is not the case for most courses, also if your confused by any part of what I said, say so cause I'll be able to explain it (probably)

Edit2: Honestly I think it will be better if you just look at the BSSS site mainly these pages:
http://www.bsss.act.edu.au/curriculum/australian_curriculum
http://www.bsss.act.edu.au/curriculum/australian_curriculum(look through specific subjects you are doing), but if you're still confused then yeah just re-read edit1

Edit3: Okay I was just about to tell you your best option would be to ask your teacher but then I just looked at your other thread so that wouldn't really be a good idea haha :angryfire:
Also I just realised isn't that valuable so this is how it is.

You are currently math methods, chemistry, biology, English, and earth environmental science which all require 3.5 units to major in and 2 units to minor in. For your atar your best 3 subjects you majored in will be counted and 0.6 of the next best subject which can be either a minor or major. This means essentially that year 11 unlike NSW does count but only 1.5 units out of the generally designated 2 units in that year (I don't know how that works but I guess it does). I don't think it is that unfair though because you only need to focus on four out of your five subjects and one of those four subjects don't get affected if you plan on doing a minor instead of a major in that one.

So yeah I guess your teacher is right, year 11 does count but only 1.5 units of it, unless of course there is a way to do an extra 1.5 units during year 12 (this would have to be combined in the same course you are doing so doing other subjects wouldn't work)
So basically only 2 units for each of my 5 subjects go towards my atar? E.g unit 2, 4 bio, unit 1, 3 maths, unit 1,4 chem, etc.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
So basically only 2 units for each of my 5 subjects go towards my atar? E.g unit 2, 4 bio, unit 1, 3 maths, unit 1,4 chem, etc.
No, that would only be the case if you were getting a minor, however you will need to major in at least three subjects (plus 0.6 of another major or minor) so for example unit 1a, 2, 3, 4 for english and the same for maths and chem, then say for bio you only minor in it (in order to complete minimum atar requirements) youd only need to unit 2, 4 for it.

Essentially I think (not 100% sure) but you can completely miss out on say units 1 and 3 of bio and it will still be fine you woild still get your minor, likewise you could completely miss out on say 4b for example of math and it will still be fine, it all depends on how your school works and how the exam would work as a result of picking and choosing which units you can and cant do (if i saw a past paper that might help ill see if i can find one later)

Also its important to remember that some units are needed in order to do other units so those ones will pretty much more or less be considered mandatory (e.g. unit 2 in bio iirc is a prerequisite for units.

Out of the 5 subjects, the one you did your worst in wont count towards your atar and you will need to major in at least 3 of them (preferrably your best three) which means so 3.5 units for those three, and you can minor in the other two of which one of those two wont count because you did your worst in it.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have any specific requirements/restrictions set by your school on how many majors and minors you can do? These really seems very flexible like uni almost

dgt20

HSC
Do you have any specific requirements/restrictions set by your school on how many majors and minors you can do? These really seems very flexible like uni almost

Yes. From what i can remember to get a atar you must complete:
5 majors
4 majors 2 minors (only 1 minor counts)
Or 3 majors 3 minors ( only 1 minor counts if you do AST test).

Currently i am planning to major in chem, bio, mathmethods, english and minoring in earth science and buisness so ill jave 4 majors 2 minors.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. From what i can remember to get a atar you must complete:
5 majors
4 majors 2 minors (only 1 minor counts)
Or 3 majors 3 minors ( only 1 minor counts if you do AST test).

Currently i am planning to major in chem, bio, mathmethods, english and minoring in earth science and buisness so ill jave 4 majors 2 minors.
So yeah that would mean for earth science and business your yr11 results wont matter but for other 4 they do matter or at least 3 of the four

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)