Are the average UAIs of schools released? (1 Viewer)

Twintip

... as this would seem to me as the fairest way of comparing schools (getting a few on the honour role isn't really representitive of the whole year). This would be fairest in rating the "top 10 schools", etc.

<rant>

Why is it that the media love public schools so much? They always find a way of presenting a random aspect of the results that reflect most favourably on public schools. It happens every year and really pisses me off (it's my motivation to do well next year. If I ever meet the education minister I'll tell him to get f***ed :lol: ).

Also, Channel 10 had a story on some public school that had 4 people top the state in stuff. They described it as a stand-out school. They just completely ignored the fact that PLC Pymble had 5 (they didn't even rate a mention). As I said, this biased reporting happens every year. Why do private schools always have such a hard time?

</rant>

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
Well it's useful to look at all the results from the school. Grammar puts them on the school website with a breakdown by percentile I think - www.sydgram.nsw.edu.au

I can't comment on the media covergae cos I'm in Singapore right now..

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
mmmmm... pymble got a bit of coverage but i agree in general it was inadequate for private schools
what was the deal with the feature story being about the guy who topped general maths? its a good achievement but it felt like they undervalued others

Twintip

I think it's because they took the "anyone can do it" slant. He got a UAI of 39 in 2001 and then he topped General Maths this year. I guess it's more newsworthy.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Originally posted by Twintip

<rant>

Channel 10 had a story on some public school that had 4 people top the state in stuff. They described it as a stand-out school. They just completely ignored the fact that PLC Pymble had 5 (they didn't even rate a mention). As I said, this biased reporting happens every year. Why do private schools always have such a hard time?

</rant>
maybe because public schools don't have as much resources as privates e.g. i go to a public school and ive had some REAL SHIT teachers....ones that have to be corrected by students again and again...and others who won't admit when they're wrong and give you a detention cuz they reckon your being "disruptive"!

btw, if you ever do meet the education minister, tell him to get fucked for me too :p

Twintip

Yeah yeah, I guess they like the success of an 'underdog'-type figure. :)

Average UAIs for each school would be quite interesting though I reckon.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Twintip
Average UAIs for each school would be quite interesting though I reckon.
Methinks the top schools will stay the same, with either an average UAI rank, or rank by merit list
eg Ruse' average is something in the 99's

Twintip

Ruse is an exception however. There aren't many that would average even close I reckon. I think it'd show some schools to have more depth than others (probaby private schools too).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Since 1997 (Mt Druitt High School incident) NSW has had specific legislation prohibiting publication of HSC results which allow ranking of schools or students - includes UAIs, unfortunately.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
mount druitt incident was about a certain newspaper publishing a story about the highest uai attained at that school was 77.00 or something like that. anyway, that caused controversey about public schools and since then they have published uais.

i think that it would be a good idea though to at least publish the average uai for each school. it's more of an indicator on how a school's performed than how many times its mentioned on the honour list/merit list

kennedy22384

it wasnt 77
it was 44 and it was by the dux of the school
big controversy and was an embarrasment to the school

sore_elbow

you wanna know why they are so heavily taking the "public schools angle"? the simple answer is the labour government.

Twintip

Fine, but on the basis of giving credit where credit is due, there is a heavy imbalance towards public schools. No one can deny that. Also, you don't spend $14,000 a year just to get a higher UAI (this has been done to death though, like all these public V private arguements in the past).

Twintip

You know what the money is supposed to do, teachers, resources, social development (whatever that's supposed to mean, I think I know what they mean but I wouldn't call it that), security on behalf of the parents - you can be pretty sure your child will be given the attention they need, you cen be pretty sure that the child won't do woefully in the HSC (you hardly get sub-50's in schools with good depth), a good reputation in various circles of employment as a 'well rounded' ( :rolleyes: ) student (law for example), etc...

Not everyone is rich (stereotypes affect us too!) but my parents think it is money well-spent and I enjoy the life that goes with going to the school that I go to. I wouldn't want to leave (I had public education for my primary years as my parents realised that private education at this age wasn't really beneficial).

And yes, it is popular. I was booked into a couple of girls schools before I was born apparently. :D

Congratulations on your UAI by the way. :) If I get anywhere near that I'll be stoked (combined law is so far away haha). :)

Last edited:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
hmmm....what many of you fail to consider is all the scholarship candidates at private schools who don't have to pay the high fees, and who are most likely to get into the honour rolls when it comes to the HSC.

For fee-paying students, it's not quite as simple as amenities and or 'snob' value (what exactly is this, by the way? private school people thinking they are better than public school people? I think there has generally been more private school bashing by public school people with stereotyped views, then there have been snobs bashing public schools, especially on this forum). I think that the idea of a 'rounded' education is what most private schools provide (or claim to provide). The HSC may be a significant meausre of a school's performance or so-called 'quality' but it is not the only measure. Schools which provide students with a diverse range of learning opportunities and options, regardless of whether they are private or public, can also be seen as very good schools.

In the end, people should go to a school which provides them with opportunities they are looking for and an environment which they are comfortable in. If this, for some people, is a private school, and must hence be labelled "snob" value, then so be it. There are bullies and bastards at any school, and there are always going to be people, regardless of their background, who think they are better than others. Where they went to school isn't going to change that.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Before I begin, I want to say I dont mean to add to the private vs public school debate but just to add the the understanding of why the results of public schools are glorified by the media as they are expected to fail whereas the private schools are designed just to excel far beyond their public counterparts.

I go to a public school way out in the "sticks" as you call it. our global funding per annum is far below 200000 yet we performed very well against every hardship we face.

In Chemistry for example, it is impossible for our to perform the experiments set out in the senior curriculum more complicated that making alloys. So how can our students have been expected to perform higher in that subject than a band three at best? To make matters worse, their preliminary teacher dictated notes from a textbook and couldn't demonstrate the most rudimentary calculations that set groundwork for the HSC course. This teacher abandoned the class so the class was left with only a Home Economics trained substitute. This class was finally picked up mid semester one 2002 by a capable teacher and each student passed, and all exceeded band three. Sure, this is nowhere near private school results but commendable all the same.

What about Physics? No working CRT or CROs, no means to view medical apparatus as required by the syllabus and we do not even have a properly functioning induction coil. I shudder to think that if in the exam we got Describe an experiment questions as they would be examining our creative writing even more than they already do. For each of these experiments we were told what we could do but that just isnt sufficient to attain the understanding those experiments are designed to create in students. The class was made up of many that would have not been allowed within five kilometres of enrolling in more exclusive schools. Our class reached the state mean, barely, but got there. I had the opportunity to visit a private school and found the equipment we would of used in a year seven laboratory unused collecting dust. Well..

Thanks to the Computers in Schools program, even public schools have a good chance at good scores in computing dont they?

We have one qualified computing teacher but he is also the only qualified Physics and Chemistry teacher. Inevitably, we have underqualified teachers out of their fields. It seems that if a teacher can set their VCR to record the Soaps, they can teach computing. Our Software Design and Development cannot complete the 2001 HSC exam paper to this date. Nevertheless, he got a high band five in his class this year.

Thats enough whingeing. We got more than 5 UAIs over 90 and the schools is ecstatic, far out performing the local private schools against all expectations. Now to the point, (sorry), our average UAI would be less than 70 taking away from the schools good results. That would indicate we are a bad school with below average students, which I see as an unfair generalisation.

I will never undermine private schooling and their undeniably magnificent results. I would have attended a private school in a heartbeat but I live in the bush (4 hours from Sydney) and the fees would be unreachable due to our household income. When the time comes, I would not send my children to a public school but credit should be given where it is due and that is why people in the media and political arenas commend their results although they are far below those of private schools. Public schools like us are proud of the wide curriculum we offer but cannot be competitive with those schools whose averages are very close to 100.

Public schools need all the help and that is why my friends and myself owe so much to this site and forums and are so appreciative that the resources are so comprehensive.

Thankyou BoredofStudies

I do understand the irony that the site is compiled by the majority, if not all formerly private school students.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
some ppl on this thread have spoken about having dodgy teachers at public schools. well that could that be coz private and catholic schools tend to pay more?

and also, the govt should just retrain dodgy teachers or have them go do a course or something. yeh i know, easy to say but hard to do. but how else are teachers to improve then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)