School B6's (1 Viewer)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
If your schools receives little to no band 6's in the subjects you are doing, how does this affect the rank you need to achieve a 98+ ATAR, or a similar feat.
The class sizes are relatively small as well. Generally below 12 students for most subjects (Excluding General maths and 2u maths, and standard and adv english)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Ignore past year band 6s when determining your success. 2015 we got 0 band 6's for biology and before that it was like max 3. 2016 they got 7 and 2017 we got 20. So yeah don't worry about past b6 rate!

captainneuro

HSC
Also, for e.g if last year's 1st ranked student didn't receive a band 6, doesn't mean you won't either. It's just best to focus on your cohort and trying to get everyone to do well collectively :)

HSC
School performance fluctuates each year no matter where you go. The number of previous b6s is a good indicator of future performance, but it isn't the be all and end all. However, the weaker your school is, generally the easier it is to get good ranks. Ultimately, it's just up to how you perform in the HSC exams assuming you're 1st for everything. Good luck, you'll do fine!

tklawl

HSC
N/A
If your school has continuously received little to no band 6s for the past few years, it is an indication that your year will probably follow. Of course, this is not a guarantee as your grade may do a lot better. However, granted that your school receives little to no band 6s, you'd probably need to come first in every subject and then receive a band 6 in those subjects. This depends on the strength of your year group - if you have a strong year group, you'll need to come 1st or 2nd to ensure you do well enough.

TLDR; safest bet is to come first or second in everything and ensure you work your best to get a band 6 so internal marks don't screw your external marks.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If your school isn't the best in some of these lower ranked schools one year the highest ATAR might be like a mid 90 and then another year since there is a higher calibre of top student it might be 99. If you are ranked like first in everything whcih you will probably have to be or very close to in classes that don't get much band sixes, other people's marks won't influence any of your marks

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
In my school, very few people got band 6's in a lot of my subjects for the previous year. However, keep in mind that school performance changes cohort to cohort. I was determined to get band 6s so I got the top rank for each subject. So when the HSC came around my mark was not influenced by my cohort but rather my individual performance. Got 99.7. If I went to a higher ranked school with better teaching I may have achieved higher but regardless it does not matter about your school as much as you and your individual dedication.
I think from 99.5 and higher it's all about luck because if you make like 2 less silly mistakes each subject you could get .9 or something or in your english, if like 3 markers gave you 1 extra mark your english mark can increase 1-2 which is pretty big

HSC
Our dux got a 96 ATAR and she didn't rank anywhere in the top 5 of her subjects for the whole year :') (school is ranked in the 300s which is they the top score might seem low to some)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)