Getting terrible marks? (1 Viewer)

Vanillacupcake

HSC
Hey,
So I am doing the HSC this year, I am planning on doing a bachelor of media at university where I need to receive a 85 ATAR.
I currently just did my half yearlys and unfortunately, I am not doing well in my assessments and it is putting me down.
In my English Advanced assessment I received 12/20 (C) 60%
In my Modern History assessment I received 15/25 (C) 60% (I ranked 16/17 in my class!)
I haven’t received marks for my other assessments yet but I don’t feel very confident. I have lost motivation and feel like no matter how much I try, I won’t get the marks I am aiming for. I’m worried this is going to effect my HSC. I also feel drained and out of focus.

Frostguard

HSC
Hey Vanilla!!! Cheer up, this is just your first offical set of examinations, you've still many more assessments the trials to do, you can't afford to lose motivation!!! Maybe it's just something that's causing your undesirable performance, whether it be panic, stress, exam anxiety, procrastination or inefficient study methods, don't worry everyone experiences these sorts of problems every now and then. Maybe if you colour code your notes or just small changes to make it easier to read and above all, the best way to solidify your knowledge is past papers!!! Spend the entire day or night or whatever it takes to retain as much information possible (of course you need sleep, sleep retains memory!!)

For your English result, whole although a 60% is not exactly good, it just means you have to try harder and improve whatevers making you receive such marks, maybe you need to improve on language or visual techniques, or maybe have solid and more adaptable creative responses or more quotes, techniques or textual analysis? Just improve the areas you lack in and those marks will go soaring!!

As for Modern History, your ranking is not necessarily a bad thing!!! The fact that you got 60% while second last means your cohort is very strong (assuming rank 17th passed the exam), this a good thing because the competition in your cohort will force you perform better in your exams, I'm not sure what caused the mark, whether it be source analysis or a particular 25 marker, just remember to always include the source when talking about WW1 and to effectively demonstrate reliability and usefulness for your WW1 responses!! As for your other sections remember to include historiography (basically quotes from other historians about the particular dot point)

Don't be so disheartened, you've still many chances to improve your academic performance and smash those assessments out of the park!!! Good Luck!!!! :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
50% of your ATAR is made up of how you perform in external exams (HSC).

Additionally, if you don't quite make the cut-off you may either be eligible for bonus points, cut-off may lower or you can always do a different course then transfer in.

Maybe look at your diet (make it healthier?) and the amount of excercise that you do.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Use the holidays are a bit of a breather, and a way to get back into the swing of things!

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped in some of my half yearlies as well, and although it has brought me down, I am more determined now, but that is by choice.
You can choose the same, and work towards your 85 ATAR goal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)