98+ atar (1 Viewer)

zdf

HSC
I've started to become a bit concerned about my subject choices for Year 12. I'm currently in Year 11 and it's highly likely that I will not be doing 4U. However, what I've noticed with alot of the people that get ATAR's above 99 is that alot of them do 4U math. I'm only planning on doing 3U but am still aiming for a 99 atar, but I'm kind of concerned bcos of the fact that most 99+ people do 4U :/
Advice?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst the subjects you do can have a small impact on scaling and all that bullshit, its ultimately about how well you do. Picking 4U isn't going to guarantee a high atar, just like picking english standard isn't going to guarantee a relatively low atar, which seems to be the popular belief (we had 3+ people get high 90s with eng standard in the past 2 years). Just worry about getting the best results you can and you'll be fine.

tklawl

HSC
N/A
4U is not necessary - I didn't do 4u. No matter what subjects you do (barring the VET courses), it is completely possible to get a 99+.

My advice is to work as hard as you can on your current subjects (and get 100 for 2u :) ). Do what you'll enjoy, because that's what will ultimately net you the higher ATARs.

HoldingOn

HSC
nah it's possible to get 98+ or even 99+ without 4u you just would have to do really well in all your subjects ie get 95+ in all your subs (scaled mark). It's just the common asian 5 to do 4u or whatever and get a 99+ atar another common subject combo is 2u maths, adv eng and all 3 sciences and they too get 98+

you can still change subjects imo just depends on how you present your case for wanting to change and if you can catch up
That's not entirely correct. 95+ in all subjects- with let's say advanced and 3U maths would get you at least over 99.5 closer to .95.

gallen88

HSC
Highest ATAR ever achieved in my school was a girl in 2015 who scored 99.50. She dropped Science and Maths completely. Did: English Advanced, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, Legal Studies and SORI. It is possible to achieve above 99 without 4 unit maths. Work hard and you will do well either way. : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)