Chemistry depth study - too easy???????? (1 Viewer)

fysiqs

HSC
Hi everyone thought I'd post a copy of the depth study below from a well known eastern suburbs school. A friend of my sister is studying chemistry there and they have been given this as their year 11 depth study. She is worried that it is way too simple and basic.

I was a student there as well and finished many years ago. This depth study reminds me of a task we used to do in year 7 Science. Yes Year 7!!!! it might have been year 8 I can't remember. For an assignment we had to research an element ( copy information using google) and make a powerpoint and present to class. cant believe this is now being used in year 11 as a depth study - it just seems way too easy and I think sis's friend is right, why wouldnt everybody get nearly 100% in this???? She says it is supposed to be done in 15 hours....she reckons she will do it in about 3, working slowly. I know the science department there has lost its best teachers recently and standards have probably gone down a lot but even new teachers would make a better assessment task than this? The principal there is also a chemistry teacher at the school so I wonder what he thinks.

YEAR 11

CHEMISTRY ASSIGNMENT​

DEPTH STUDY 30% of Year 11 Assessemnt

TERM 1 2018 WEEK 5, 10, 11, TERM 2 WEEK 2, 7 AND 9 SUBMIT AT END OF TERM 2​

CONTENT FOCUS

A depth study is any type of investigation/activity that a student completes individually or collaboratively that allows the further development of one or more concepts found within or inspired by the syllabus.

In your depth study you will:

1. Research an element or an allotrope or an isotope of an element that has been discovered in the last 200 years in terms of the followHistorical significance, physical and chemical properties, uses as element or as a compound, future uses, impacts and costs to the environment, effects on society
Most common source of the element / allotrope / isotope
Countries with significant production
Electron configuration and identify nature of bonding
A bibliography

2. Model of element / allotrope / isotope / compound of this element

You will be marked on the following:
Visual presentation of your choice incorporating your research from above eg prezi, powerpoint, webpage, scientific poster. You are not limited to these suggestions.
Bibliography
Physical Model maximum size 50cm X 50cm X 50cm

Component Weighting %
1. Skills in working scientifically 60
2. Knowledge and understanding of course content 40

Term 1 Week 5 – Introduce Depth Study (1 lesson)

Aim to select your element / allotrope / isotope

Term 1 Week 10 and 11 – Research

Aim to complete research

Term 2 Week 5 – Presentation

Aim to complete your presentation

Term 2 Week 7 – Model

Aim to complete your model

Term 2 Week 9 – Finalise your depth study ready to hand in at the end your last lesson for the term.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone thought I'd post a copy of the depth study below from a well known eastern suburbs school. A friend of my sister is studying chemistry there and they have been given this as their year 11 depth study. She is worried that it is way too simple and basic.

I was a student there as well and finished many years ago. This depth study reminds me of a task we used to do in year 7 Science. Yes Year 7!!!! it might have been year 8 I can't remember. For an assignment we had to research an element ( copy information using google) and make a powerpoint and present to class. cant believe this is now being used in year 11 as a depth study - it just seems way too easy and I think sis's friend is right, why wouldnt everybody get nearly 100% in this???? She says it is supposed to be done in 15 hours....she reckons she will do it in about 3, working slowly. I know the science department there has lost its best teachers recently and standards have probably gone down a lot but even new teachers would make a better assessment task than this? The principal there is also a chemistry teacher at the school so I wonder what he thinks.

YEAR 11

CHEMISTRY ASSIGNMENT​

DEPTH STUDY 30% of Year 11 Assessemnt

TERM 1 2018 WEEK 5, 10, 11, TERM 2 WEEK 2, 7 AND 9 SUBMIT AT END OF TERM 2​

CONTENT FOCUS

A depth study is any type of investigation/activity that a student completes individually or collaboratively that allows the further development of one or more concepts found within or inspired by the syllabus.

In your depth study you will:

1. Research an element or an allotrope or an isotope of an element that has been discovered in the last 200 years in terms of the followHistorical significance, physical and chemical properties, uses as element or as a compound, future uses, impacts and costs to the environment, effects on society
Most common source of the element / allotrope / isotope
Countries with significant production
Electron configuration and identify nature of bonding
A bibliography

2. Model of element / allotrope / isotope / compound of this element

You will be marked on the following:
Visual presentation of your choice incorporating your research from above eg prezi, powerpoint, webpage, scientific poster. You are not limited to these suggestions.
Bibliography
Physical Model maximum size 50cm X 50cm X 50cm

Component Weighting %
1. Skills in working scientifically 60
2. Knowledge and understanding of course content 40

Term 1 Week 5 – Introduce Depth Study (1 lesson)

Aim to select your element / allotrope / isotope

Term 1 Week 10 and 11 – Research

Aim to complete research

Term 2 Week 5 – Presentation

Aim to complete your presentation

Term 2 Week 7 – Model

Aim to complete your model

Term 2 Week 9 – Finalise your depth study ready to hand in at the end your last lesson for the term.

That does look very easy :\

I remember doing a very similar thing with my Year 8s and they only took a week or so to complete it, probably 4 hours in total.

Keep in mind it is the first time through for this depth study, hopefully it will improve over time, but this is pretty laughable.

fysiqs

HSC
Ascham School Year 11 set this...pretty ordinary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)