Highest vs. lowest scaling extension subject? (1 Viewer)

NewbieToobie

HSC
People are saying that Maths Extension 2 scales the highest, while History Extension scales the lowest. Is that true? Asking for future decisions!

Also, which scales better: History Extension or Music 2?

Lumenoria

HSC
I suppose in that context yes, but it is far from a "bad scaling" subject in the grand scheme. I'm 99% History Ext scales way better than Music 2, because all of the creative subjects are notorious for their atrocious scaling. However, I would strongly advise against making any subject decisions based on their scaling. It only works in your favour if you do well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brbstudying

HSC
According to https://www.uac.edu.au/assets/documents/publications/2017-prelim-scaling-report.pdf , Music 2 scales a bit better than History Ext (34.2 instead of 33.7) whilst Maths Ext 2 scales heaaaaaaps better than History Ext (a whooping 43.2 versus 33.7) I believe it is the highest scaling extension, as it scales in the 40s, then Music Ext scales as the next highest.

The only time I'd advise anyone to choose their subjects based on scaling is if they had interest OR were confident in their ability to work hard and be invested and interested in all subjects. OR if they aren't interested in any subject, and can be fine doing whatever - then they can use scaling to narrow their choices down. Otherwise it is a waste of time, and you may as well should have done what you are interested in or know you can do well in.

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
I suppose in that context yes, but it is far from a "bad scaling" subject in the grand scheme. I'm 99% History Ext scales way better than Music 2, because all of the creative subjects are notorious for their atrocious scaling. However, I would strongly advise against making any subject decisions based on their scaling. It only works in your favour if you do well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really, Music 2 (a creative subject) scales better than Ancient/Modern History, Biology, Business Studies, even CHEMISTRY and PHYSICS (non-creative subjects)

Frostguard

HSC
Even if Music 2 scales higher than most subjects, it's a demanding subject (from what I've heard), you would generally only pick the subject if you have a passion for music, playing it, listening to music, remembering all the steps, notes and chords is a lot more difficult than it seems (which I never really understood because creative subjects require, well creativity, passion, hours of practising yet the scaling isn't that high???)
As for History Extension, you would too only pick this subject if you enjoy history, (in saying that Hist Ext is a lot different to modern and ancient lol, you don't actually learn about history, you learn about historiography, which is the like the history of history and the influence of context on the construction of history, I'm probably making it sound like a yawn fest but trust it's actually interesting if you enjoy why historians write the way that they do)
Remember OP, scaling doesn't mean jack unless you do well!!!

Robbie M

HSC
I would advise against picking subjects purely on their scaling.

If you believe you are equally talented and ( more importantly) motivated in one of the subjects then go for it.
Otherwise i'd advise against just picking high scaling subjects based off of the scaling as you will probably enjoy it less and hence be less motivated to study for it.

I picked quite traditionally low scaling subjects and managed okay because i enjoyed them and put lots of time and effort into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)