How much of an impact will a crappy teacher have on internal ATAR marking (1 Viewer)

lucosh

HSC
Hi,

I'm in Year 11 at the moment and doing well in all my subjects so far (Maths is a little lacking). I take:

2U Mathematics
Advanced English
Modern History
Legal Studies
Biology
Studies of Religion II

So I really enjoy History and I excel at essay-based subjects, but my teacher is kinda... shit. He's bad at teaching and makes learning history feel like a chore. I swear to God, for a history teacher, his essay writing skills are really poor (I reckon if I gave one of his essay standards to some English teachers and they didn't know it was his, they would devour it). A veteran history head just left last year, and of course this current teacher is now Acting Head of History. This makes his marking inconsistency SO much worse, because now he decides what the standard is. Not to mention we have a new syllabus, so we rely hugely on him.

Because of him, the class is small (15 students), and people who were good at Elective History in Year 9 and 10 avoided it. Also, because of him, no one wants to take Extension History.

I desperately wish another teacher would step in... there's some great English teachers who are qualified to teach History at my school. My Legal Studies, SORII and English teachers are fantastic.

For the first task I got 24/30, and the second task I got 28/30. Believe me, compared to my SORII and English teacher, his feedback is so basic and has minimal value to improving my essay skills. He changes his way of marking each assessment, and it's impossible to know what he wants, because he never tells us specifics (had him in year 9 and 10 for Elective History).

So my question is, how much of an impact will his poor marking affect the internal assessments in Year 12? And our trials??

I'm aiming for a high ATAR, maybe 95+, and I feel like he is gonna just ruin Modern History for me. Some of the people in my class are sick of him as well - what should we do? Has anyone had a teacher like this and is there ways you can escape a bad teacher/marker? Who do you appeal to for remarking when he's the Head of History?? Modern History just feels so isolated now... and it's a real shame.

Thanks

Lumenoria

HSC
Heyo!
I'm in year 12 rn about to do trials in a week, and I've had a shitty ass teacher for economics for both year 11 and 12. I've outsmarted him so many times lol and I always ask him questions that he can't even answer himself. His feedback is minimal and makes me think that I'm not being pushed as much as I should be. I'm ranked 1st though, so any impact his teaching has on the rest of the cohort won't affect me as I will end up taking my own mark come HSC (assuming I rank first in externals). As long as you're self motivated and try to rank first, you should be okay. It sucks, but it's hard to do anything about it honestly. At least you're in year 11 lol. If it really gets bad, you could drop it entirely (assuming you have enough units).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostguard

HSC
I personally haven't gotten any bad teachers but the good thing about Prelim exams/HSC Half Yearlies/Trials, the teacher marks the exams in reference to your student numbers so realistically your teacher will be forced to mark good essays good and bad essays accordingly. Regardless of how bad he is, he must have some standards in marking your assessments/essays so unfortunately you're gonna stick with him. I would say to just study ahead but let's be real it's History so it's lot more inconvenient to self-study historical events by yourself :/ In my opinion you could appeal to your Deputy Principal or other authoritative figures (i was gonna say appeal to the Head Teacher of History and i was lol nvm hes the head teacher HAHAH) but I think you're gonna just have to bear with it. If you do pick Hist Ext, I must warn you the course is 80% of your assessment mark (so if he marks it then bam even more inconsistencies) but your only saving grace is that it may be marked by another teacherfrom another school so then that teacher will then mark your project accordingly fortunately. Just see if you can ask him the course outline and the syllabus dot points for Prelim/HSC if that's the least you can do so you can at least be prepared. The HSC syllabus for History hasn't been overhauled completely so just ask him for the course outline and see if matches the resources on this website. Good Luck buddy! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)