Am I screwed for my ATAR with these English marks? (1 Viewer)

SadStudent

HSC
Hi,

This is my current ranking as of now, with the completion of two assessment tasks for each subject.
22/22 - EnglishAdv
1/44 - Maths2U
2/13 - MathsEXT
2/14 - Economics
3/63 - Biology
2/57 - BusinesStd

For english,
My average marks for the first two assessments averages out to approximately 62%.
My class' average marks (excluding me) for the first two assessments have ranged between 84% to 97% - no lower, no higher.
Overall, these past two assessments make up 45%.

In my english class, we've done several text studies, however, I've not gone into detail and been bothered to read and analyse any of them myself. I have been rather heavily reliant on online materials to aid my assessment tasks. I also do not listen in class at all. Thus, I'm unable to pinpoint and hammer down exactly what my teacher expects in our tasks. Ultimately, it's my fault for achieving these bad marks because I've taken this subject for granted and invested very little time into it.

There is very little chance for me to achieve any rank above last place in english because people in my class are only getting better and much more competitive. Have I basically obstructed myself from getting a band 6 in english and an ATAR above 97?

Hypothetically, if I were to achieve rank 7 out of 22 students with an external mark of 92/100 (aligned) BUT the student who ranks 22nd (this matches with my internal rank) achieves an external mark of 45/100 due to some illness or something, also not considering the fact that this student may be an outlier, will this severely damage my internal marks?

Say my raw internal marks remain 62/100 even after completing trials, will the student who was placed last in the external exam average out my internal marks to be approximately 54/100? Therefore, I will achieve a HSC mark of 73/100 (average of internal and external), even though I achieved a high external mark of 92/100. Please assure me this isn't true, I'm absolutely frightened at this stage.

Overall, my main questions are:
- Can I still get a band 6 for english?
- Do I have to do really well in external, like getting 90+ aligned marks for the external exam?
- Can I still achieve an ATAR above 97?

Sorry if this post may appear wordy or confusing, I've tried my best to make it easier to read.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hypothetically, if I were to achieve rank 7 out of 22 students with an external mark of 92/100 (aligned) BUT the student who ranks 22nd (this matches with my internal rank) achieves an external mark of 45/100 due to some illness or something, also not considering the fact that this student may be an outlier, will this severely damage my internal marks?

Say my raw internal marks remain 62/100 even after completing trials, will the student who was placed last in the external exam average out my internal marks to be approximately 54/100? Therefore, I will achieve a HSC mark of 73/100 (average of internal and external), even though I achieved a high external mark of 92/100. Please assure me this isn't true, I'm absolutely frightened at this stage.
If you do end up last in your grade, then your internal mark will be adjusted to equal the lowest exam mark of your cohort (or thereabouts). This process accounts for outliers.

If you do end up coming last, you need to realise that you probably won't get 92/100 because you haven't demonstrated that. 92/100 in English is a high mark. It's around top 10% of the entire state. Many students will also be doing English Extension 1 and 2, and be very good at understanding and analysing texts, as well as conveying that in essays. You won't get 92/100 based on your account of how you treat English. That is the reality.

Best thing to do is to recognise where you have gone wrong and fix that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)