Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scaling FAQ

HSC

Re: Scaling FAQ

yep thanks for clearing that.
    BAN bos1234
    copy in sig if u agree

Quote Originally Posted by *BIRDIE*
    no im not a stazi, are you going to guess every star sign b4 you work it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by UnIqUe PrInCeSs on msn
    I'm going to wipe out the indian race

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Question Re: Scaling FAQ

"Raw marks, not aligned marks are used in the calculation of scaled marks and the UAI."

Am I correct in thinking that
    1) the average of the raw exam mark and the moderated school assessment mark is calculated to produce the "raw HSC mark" that you are referring to above?
    2) If so, then what are aligned marks? And what are scaled marks?
    3) What do they do to your raw HSC marks to calculate your UAI?

Thanks...I'm confused

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...

Quote Originally Posted by wow!
    "Raw marks, not aligned marks are used in the calculation of scaled marks and the UAI."

Am I correct in thinking that
    1) the average of the raw exam mark and the moderated school assessment mark is calculated to produce the "raw HSC mark" that you are referring to above?
    2) If so, then what are aligned marks? And what are scaled marks?
    3) What do they do to your raw HSC marks to calculate your UAI?

Thanks...I'm confused
    I'll try to answer the questions as well as I can.

1) From what I've read, yes, the raw HSC mark is the average of the raw exam mark and the moderated school assessment mark that is calculated for the student.

2) The aligned mark they are referring to here is the HSC exam mark that you are given by the Board of Studies; this mark has been generated from the raw exam mark in accordance with the outcomes and standards set by the Board of Studies as to how well the student attained the outcomes and to what level they have fulfilled them. The scaled mark is the raw exam mark after it has undergone the process of scaling, and in combination with the moderated school assessment mark, this is the one which is used to calculate your scaled aggregate mark for the UAI.

3) The raw HSC exam marks undergo the process of scaling and is then combined and averaged with the moderated school assessment mark to produce a scaled mark for that subject. This scaled mark is then used to calculate your UAI; using the scaled mark of 2 units of English, then the best 8 units out of your remaining units and adding these scaled marks together to create a scaled aggregate mark out of 500. This then allows the Technical Committee on Scaling (the board that calculates the UAI) to rank the students and calculate their UAI.

If you have any queries about that explanation, post and I'll try my best to answer it (I'll eventually clear up this post, it can be made a lot clearer, plus the calculation of the UAI explanation is very simplified, but the gist of it is correct.)
    Last edited by SoulSearcher; 8 Jan 2008 at 2:16 AM.
    Is quite inactive.

HSC

is there an updated version of scaling? it would be very helpful if there were...

say if i were doing 11units - 4 2unit subjects and 3u maths, how would they choose my best 8units then?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by w-tian
    is there an updated version of scaling? it would be very helpful if there were...

say if i were doing 11units - 4 2unit subjects and 3u maths, how would they choose my best 8units then?
    To determine your UAI, it is your best 2 units of english, then the next best 8 units out of the remainder.

So if you are doing 11 units (incl. english) then the best 8 units out of the 9 remaining units would be taken.

For eg see earlier

Quote Originally Posted by benny.a
    How about if your best 8 units are:
    - English advanced
    - Biology
    - Physics
    - Chemistry

and then another of your best units is extension 1 which is only one unit. If they add one more 2 unit subject that will equal 11 units, how will determine ur UAI?
    See Lazarus' reply
    A 'two unit' course is made up of two units... it's possible for only one of them to count.

Involves halving your mark.
    There would be two possibilities for you:

1) All 4 of your 2-unit subjects would count or
    2) 3 of your 2-unit subjects would count, 3-unit (ie extension) maths would count, and 1 out of 2 units of your last subject would count.
    Bachelor of Arts (English) / Bachelor of Laws II UNSW

The intellect of man is forced to choose
    Perfection of the life, or of the work,
    And if it take the second must refuse
    A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
    William Butler Yeats
    The Choice

HSC

ok, so they use our raw marks... but what about us poor kids who didn't sit one (or all) of our exams. By filling out our illness/misadventure forms they end up doing whatever they do to get our marks... but as we have no raw mark what does that mean for our uais?

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by songs4thesadman
    ok, so they use our raw marks... but what about us poor kids who didn't sit one (or all) of our exams. By filling out our illness/misadventure forms they end up doing whatever they do to get our marks... but as we have no raw mark what does that mean for our uais?

They give you an estimate based on your school assessment rank and gap between the students either side of you and UAC uses that estimate.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cem
    They give you an estimate based on your school assessment rank and gap between the students either side of you and UAC uses that estimate.
    Personally I'd never trust an estimate.. it's based on subjective opinion most of the time.
    HSC'08
    -English Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, Physics, Chemistry
    UNSW MBBS'14
    100 UAI/state ranking chem and Phys notes for sale

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by dp624
    Personally I'd never trust an estimate.. it's based on subjective opinion most of the time.

The alternative is to say 'Bad luck' about what happened and give the student the mark they got on the exam, which would be considerably worse, or zero.

By using the school's ranks and gaps they have an idea of how the student would have gone (not perfect but better than nothing).

Remember that if a student sits the exam and then gets granted misadventure/illness they only use an estimate if the original exam mark would place them lower then the school's rank and gaps.

e.g. students sits exam, gets 85, school says they should be between the students who got 65 and 68 then the 85 stands but if they sit the exam and get 45 then the estimate would be between the 65 and 68 based on where the school has ranked them.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cem
    The alternative is to say 'Bad luck' about what happened and give the student the mark they got on the exam, which would be considerably worse, or zero.

By using the school's ranks and gaps they have an idea of how the student would have gone (not perfect but better than nothing).

Remember that if a student sits the exam and then gets granted misadventure/illness they only use an estimate if the original exam mark would place them lower then the school's rank and gaps.

e.g. students sits exam, gets 85, school says they should be between the students who got 65 and 68 then the 85 stands but if they sit the exam and get 45 then the estimate would be between the 65 and 68 based on where the school has ranked them.
    REally, OK. Well, one of my friends got dragged DOWN by his estimate. He had to go overseas for Olympiad and arrived back not-in-time. So he did the test without study, did well. Then the school estimate dragged him down. lol
    HSC'08
    -English Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, Physics, Chemistry
    UNSW MBBS'14
    100 UAI/state ranking chem and Phys notes for sale

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by dp624
    REally, OK. Well, one of my friends got dragged DOWN by his estimate. He had to go overseas for Olympiad and arrived back not-in-time. So he did the test without study, did well. Then the school estimate dragged him down. lol

Are you saying that the BOS lowered his exam mark to fit his school ranking because he was overseas and didn't study.

That is NOT BOS policy - it is always to give the best result for the student.

Schools, on the other hand, can use a range of ways to estimate a task not done at the time by the student and that is before the results go to the BOS. e.g. I had a student miss one task this year and had to be given an estimate based on doing the task after everyone else. We ignored that mark until all the other marks for everyone had been finalised and then ranked the rest of the mark and determined her rank and the gap. We then adjusted her task mark to fit into that arrangement. Other departments at my school do things differently - some would just take the mark and ignore everything else - others don't take any notice of the task done late at all and give the average of the students either side of the one who missed the task and others automatically give the class average (which isn't good for the top students but is great for the bottom ones!!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information