is there a uai to op converter? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Trev said:
Rench, OP is how the rank students that sit the QTAC (I thinik :p), it's the Queensland version of the HSC so to speak.
Ah ic.
It sounds like a pretty broad way of ranking the students - OP1, OP2 etc. - the UAI is seems quite specific in comparison, with its rounding to the nearest 0.05.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Planning on coming to the University of Queensland with me, Trev? :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
velox: OP6 is actually roughly 90. It is OP10 which is 80.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Ah ic.
It sounds like a pretty broad way of ranking the students - OP1, OP2 etc. - the UAI is seems quite specific in comparison, with its rounding to the nearest 0.05.
It is my understanding that if tertiary institutions need to differentiate between students with the same Overall Position (OP), they look to their Field Positions (FP) in relevant subjects - which are essentially their scaled marks.

I think it might actually be a better system. You can't really say with any certainty that someone with 95.55 is academically more able than someone with 95.50; grouping students together with OPs acknowledges this limitation.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I certainly agree. I think our UAI/TER system often unfoundedly differentiates between students.

It's like measuring the length of an object to 10 decimal places with a ruler. That amount of 'accuracy' is actually useless.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
It is my understanding that if tertiary institutions need to differentiate between students with the same Overall Position (OP), they look to their Field Positions (FP) in relevant subjects - which are essentially their scaled marks.

I think it might actually be a better system. You can't really say with any certainty that someone with 95.55 is academically more able than someone with 95.50; grouping students together with OPs acknowledges this limitation.
But is the OP the only criterion for university entry? Or are FPs used as well? I'd be guessing the latter, in which case it does sound like a better system.

cholly

Somebody's Left Shoe
HSC
NSW universities aren't real fans of the OP system, my cousin got 2 and she still had hell time trying to get into sydney....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)