Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating)

Your friendly HSC guide Ragerunner's Avatar
    HSC
    Nah, I find explaining this over and over quite entertaining

Those it is true that if people read the sticky's it will answer almost all their questions.
    B Science @ UNSW (Major in Psychology)

Cadet
    rage, not sure if i fully understand, in fact now im getting worried, dat no matter how much work n effort i put into the external now is gonna be pointless.

say
    English (standard) = 60 23/70
    Gen Maths = 63 25/74
    Business = 65 39/78
    Ancient Hist = 67 20/35
    IT : Multimedia = 92 4/21

say in english,maths,business & ancient hist, i beat 15 people who are ranked higher den me at skewl in the HSC external, I will get pulled up a big bit?

2nd question, i don't kno how this works out, but my friend was jus tryin to explain sumthin last nite, but the msg dat i seemed to understand is dat u cant do worst then u already are,u can only do better? hence, i cant get much worst den the ranks i already have & marks, but if i work my ass off for the external , i can overtake ppl n gain more marks?

3rd question, atm, im ranked 39/78 in business, and i have a mark of 65, but say in the external i get a mark of 98, does dat mean i take the 39th person's mark and the 1st person takes my mark instead?
    dats kinda ridiculous aint it?
    HSC is almost over

HSC
    Question 1

Theoretically you do not get pulled up. When they say "pulled up" they probably mean that since they take the average of your internal assessment and HSC external, getting a higher external will result in a high average.

Your internal will always be that whatever rank you are at school, the exam mark that corresponds to that rank will become your moderated assessment mark

Question 1

What do you mean by can't do as worse as you are? If you are ranked poorly, the result will most likely be a poor assessment mark.

Normally when the HSC is nearing, more effort is put into study because you don't have the 6 hours of school in the way and you have covered everything. So technically people do better.

But that isn't always the case.

Question 3

In terms of your Internal assessment yes that is the case.

Your 98/100 will remain the same for your HSC exam and something similar (but not equal) to the 39th highest mark will become your moderated assessment.

Let's say that the 39th highest is somewhere around 70/100.

Your HSC Mark is then calculated with (98 + 70) / 2 = 84

The reason for using this system of ranking is because you can't compare the marks you recieve at school amongst the state. It would be unfair. The HSC exam is the only common exam throughout the state and thus and be used to measure performance. So it's not really ridiculous.

Cadet
    so pretty much the better the class goes for the external the better my marks get?
    HSC is almost over

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Originally posted by omicron
    so pretty much the better the class goes for the external the better my marks get?
    exactly
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

Cadet
    the people who end up gettin my ranks in the external must have good marks for me to get better marks ?
    HSC is almost over

HSC
    No; the class needs to do well as a whole.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

Cadet
    dman,
    im maths there r like 3 real fuckups
    and they dont care bout their hsc either, no joke they hardly pass
    english there is 2 i think
    hows dat gonna affect it
    HSC is almost over

HSC
    It would only affect you if they performed even worse in the exam (relative to you) than they have already.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

Ah, it's all too confusing for me. I have read basically this whole forum and I'm still unsure! I am ranked first in all my classes and got pretty good assessment marks as far as I know. In most of my classes there is a pretty big gap between myself and the person who came second.

From what I gather, I therefore need to come first in all my exams and need to get better marks than my assessment marks if I want to do well. Is that right? I think I will come first in all my exams but what's the relevance?

My subjects are also relatively easy (standard english, general maths, design and technology, art and biology) so I don't know if this has any bearing on my marks. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I really don't know what to expect so I'm just sort of hoping for the best.

HSC
    bit of a late reply (due to not visiting here in a year...) but if you get the highest assesment mark in your subjects, then your assesment marks are moderated to be the highest mark attained in your classes' exam, more than likely by you.

so if u killed your exams, doesnt matter what mark u got in ur class, as long as you were first, ur assesment mark will be at the least, what you obtained in the exam (or more if someone else beat you)

HSC
    Yes. As long as you are first regardless of what mark it is, your moderated assessment will be the highest exam mark.

If you also top the exam then yes, your exam mark will become your assessment mark. If your not first then whoever came first will have their exam mark as your moderated assessment mark.

HSC
    what about for equal rankings? like, do all those who came equal 1st just get the highest exam mark?

but then there would be more higher marks to distribute to 2nd and lower places.. assuming these equal 1st places got some of the top, but different exam marks... that cant be right can it
    Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)

HSC
    If there were equal rankings the average of the 2 highest exam marks will become their moderated assessment marks in which both the top people will end up with equal moderated assessment marks as shown by equal rankings.

HSC
    um in that table at the start of page 4 for the HSC marks there was something about aligning what we got in the HSC exam????

i thought that mark stayed the same....

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Originally posted by Benno
    um in that table at the start of page 4 for the HSC marks there was something about aligning what we got in the HSC exam????

i thought that mark stayed the same....
    Your raw mark that u get in the exam isnt the mark u see wen u get ur results - its aligned to performance bands (ie Band 6, Band 5 etc) - theres a lot of info on this on this site
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

HSC
    for example, if you get 70% raw marks in 4u maths, this equates to a hsc mark of about 95 or so, and scaled marks for uai close to 100.

whereas a 70% raw mark in general maths might equate to 65 hsc marks and scaled mark of about 35 for uai.

HSC
    thats a bit exagreated i belive

im talking about what i get in the exam (just that mark people not the changed assessment mark or overall HSC mark)

if the marks say i get 80 in geography they cant change that can they?

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL... perfectionist's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    Ok, i made a thread to ask a question, which could have been asked here.

I am a bit worried about my Physics mark, like, we had 9 people in my class...im ranked 4th, after me, i.e. from rank 5-9, people dont do anything...so yeah the worry is if their result would affect my final mark..

the school assessment marks for Physics are:
    1st- 86%
    2nd-82
    3rd-80
    4th-79
    well we are the only 4 people who really do work in class.

I am hoping a raw in mid eighties in the HSC Physics Exam...well we dont know what it would get scaled too, if it goes up to e.g. 92/100...how would it affect my school assessment mark... i mean is my band 6 which is calculated by averaging the moderated school assessment mark and the hsc exam mark would be in "jeopardy"??

I am hoping to do better in the HSC Physics exam than the person ranked 3 in Physics...

Please explain!
    i hope i am not sounding silly
    :wave:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

~ Albert Einstein

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to anunrelenting pursuit of your goal -- a commitment to excellence -- that will enable you to attain the success you seek."

~ Mario Andretti

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right...for you'll be criticised anyway"

HSC
    It appears your 4th highest mark (which is you) isn't that far from the top person - 7 marks.

In my opinion, I'd reckon a mid 80's as a raw exam mark would align to a band 6.

However, your band 6 is calculated (as you said) by averaging the moderated assessment mark and exam mark. Which is your HSC Mark.

If the other 3 people in your year do just as well as you (mid 80's as raw mark), you'd still end up with a pretty high moderated school assessment mark.

I can't say whether you'd get band 6 for sure, but the option is certainly there.

I not sure whether I answered your question, if not don't hesitate to ask again.

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL... perfectionist's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    yeah u did answer it Thanks so much
    yeah, i'd post q's if i "feel" that I am still confused.

Thanks again
    :wave:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

~ Albert Einstein

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to anunrelenting pursuit of your goal -- a commitment to excellence -- that will enable you to attain the success you seek."

~ Mario Andretti

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right...for you'll be criticised anyway"

HSC
    N/A
    ""ok..i was sumwhat confident before.. but now i am a little hazed again.
    from what i can gather (although i am probably wrong as usual) performace is also dependant on how well (or crap for that matter) your school performs..
    well what happens if in ur classes ur first .. and there is a huge gap between u and the rest of ur class.. BUT your the only one with such a high mark (80-90)... meanwhile everyone else in your class are around the same low mark (30-40)... if your schools marks get averaged...does that mean my marks gets pulled down... i've read somewhere that becuase i am first, i am relatively immune..
    however..how is this possible if the rest of the class is going bad.. will thats not pull me down considerably..or will they be pulled up?...
    i'm blabbering on again and knowing me..the answer is simple and has been mentioned before..
    however my paranoia is getting the betta of me at this point
    what to do what to do..
    help plz..
    thanx in advance guys""
    Has this poster's question been answered?

HSC
    Yes. The entire moderating process has been described rather exhaustively across almost all of the 'important' threads.

The scenario put forward by the poster is a bit confused, and doesn't seem to differentiate between assessment marks and examination marks. The latter are used to moderate the former.

Specific and precise questions are easier to answer.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

HSC
    N/A
    I think he was referring to ' a school loading factor'...it may very well be the reason why students want to get into selective schools after yr 10

HSC
    There is, ultimately, no such factor.

An average student at an above average school will receive a low school ranking, which would cancel out any benefit gained by the good performances of the other students.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 4 Jun 2014, 3:06 PM

Thread Information