ESL Vs Standard (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Why does ESL scale better than Standard English?
Its not fair. They can get Band 6s way more easliy than Standard students.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It doesn't.

The scaled mean for standard is misleading. Read some of the other threads where it's been explained that both standard and advanced are scaled in the same way (both of which are, in reality, higher than ESL).

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
but looking at the scaling statistics (tablea3) it shows ESL's HSC marks turn to better Scaled marks than Standard. Are you saying its totally misleading and i shouldn't worry about it?

Oh. btw, UAC doesn't use the Aligned marks to determine a UAI right?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hahahaha ESL rules!! If i get 95, it will be scaled to 100. lol
So beat that standard people :D
It was an excellent move by me in the start of year 11 :)

Originally posted by Lazarus
It doesn't.

The scaled mean for standard is misleading. Read some of the other threads where it's been explained that both standard and advanced are scaled in the same way (both of which are, in reality, higher than ESL).
will see about that :) stop making standard people feel secure which in reality, they are not. All you can really blame is the people who are doing the course

Originally posted by deyveed
but looking at the scaling statistics (tablea3) it shows ESL's HSC marks turn to better Scaled marks than Standard.

Oh. btw, UAC doesn't use the Aligned marks to determine a UAI right?
no, but they used the scaled mark, which ESL is STILL higher in terms of getting the higher scaled mark if you are in band 6:)
But don't worry, the candidates doing standard this year will probably be smarter :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hehehehe, well if you did EX2, there will be ONE less competitor. lol
and plus i didn't advice you to do it. i was asking you WHY you chose to do extension2.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what did you expect, huh?? that we learn A B C and the rest of the alphabet???

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
How slack is that?
I'm sure most people doing Standard can write/read/speak better than most ESL students but they still get crap marks?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
How slack is that?
I'm sure most people doing Standard can write/read/speak better than most ESL students but they still get crap marks?
It doesn't matter who writes better than who, it's HOW candidates from each courses perfom in their other subjects.

EDIT: Personally speaking, not being arrogant or anything, i am beating people from advanced AND standards in writing subjects while doing ESL. Am i ANY less fluent in expressing myself?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sorry if i offended you, it didn't meant to sound that way

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
sorry if i offended you, it didn't meant to sound that way
Oh no Survivor39. Your not offending me at all. I was just confused why ESL people get better marks than Standard.

It doesn't matter who writes better than who, it's HOW candidates from each courses perfom in their other subjects.

How do they know how well they perform in other subjects?
I thought scaling was just on each individual subject.
Would this mean that if a bludger in Maths Ext 2 performed badly in other subjects as well, it would bring down the scaled mean just a tiny bit?

Golani

Fact is that ESL students are those who come from non-english speaking countries such as myself, and they could indeed be very smart and talented (present non included ;) ) but unfortunately their english is weaker. BUT, some of them, like some asians are very hard working and highly motivated and so the do well-scaled subjects such as 4u and 3u maths and the difeferent sciences, achieve a high UAI, and that's why ESL scales better than standard.

And btw, even if standard is scaled better, which it's not, when you look at the statistics and the fact that in 2 years not a single standard student achieved a band 6 and that students do in fact achieve excellent results in the ESL hsc's, it doesn't matter how it is scales now does it?...

Last edited:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
EDIT: Personally speaking, not being arrogant or anything, i am beating people from advanced AND standards in writing subjects while doing ESL. Am i ANY less fluent in expressing myself?
so why aren't you doing standard or advanced?

Golani

coz stanard scales you even worse and decreases your chances of achieving a band 6, and you would be compared with advanced...
i guess then he doesn't do advanced coz he knows he won't do very well marks wise, and especially rank wise ;) ;)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I cant see the differnece between Standard and Advance...

you still end up doing as many essays and ulitamtely the BOS conforms u so u have to learn what they are saying... so all you have to do is write an essay on what BOS wants u to...

I reckon if i did standard im sure i'd be at the same level as advanced

Golani

i don't know much about that, but i think that advance and standard aren't identical are they?
there are differences concerning the amount of work you have to do thgroughout the year, texts, and ofcourse, in the quality of the condidature & competition.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Why does ESL scale better than Standard English?
Its not fair. They can get Band 6s way more easliy than Standard students.
That's why I force myself to do 4 unit of English.

In fact, I would have to say the Extension 1 test seems more straight forward than the advanced course (not that I am doing well in both). and Extension 2, there is no test. It is quite risky because the marking of the major work can be quite subjective.

hehe... I guess I have detracked myself!

Anyway, ESL scales better than Standard because it is of different standard (no pun intended) and have a different group of candidates. Although it may be scaled better, it does not necessarily mean that getting a higher ESL mark would score you a higher UAI when you have got a relatively lower standard mark. Well, that's what I thought anyway.

Golani

perhaps. but when you consider the statistics and marks achieved in standard and esl, it's optimistic for eslers like me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)