Exception to the ranking rule??? (1 Viewer)

Golani

O.K. a friend of mine did Modern Hebrew 2U Continuers for the HSC last year in a location outside the school. She achieved a very high assessment mark of 100 and was ranked first of all the people who did hebrew in the centre (2 or 3 people doing it through the centre).
However in the HSC exam she get 95, also topped the centre, and her final mark was 96, yes, meaning that her assessment mark was in fact taken into consideration and that her final mark was scaled down (supposed to get 97.5) because of the differences between assessment and hsc exam mark.

Why is that?
Is it because non-high school centres don't have the same ranking system?
I'm doing Classical Hebrew through my school, i'm the only one from my school, does that mean that my assessment mark will not count ib the calculation of my final mark whatsoever, because my rank is obviously 1 and the BOS has no one to compare me from my school?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I've outlined the only viable explanation below.

Originally posted by Golani
She achieved a very high assessment mark of 100
Presumably, you're referring to her raw assessment mark. This is fine, but it will almost always be different to the moderated assessment mark. You can't expect it to stay the same (what if the centre had simply marked very leniently?).

[she] was ranked first of all the people who did hebrew in the centre ...
However in the HSC exam she get 95, also topped the centre, and her final mark was 96
She did not top the centre with her exam mark (though she may have with her final mark). As she was ranked first, her moderated assessment mark would have been set equal to the top exam mark from the centre. Clearly, in order for her final mark to be 96, her moderated assessment mark must have been greater than 95 (most likely around 97) which means that there was another exam mark higher than her own.

Is it because non-high school centres don't have the same ranking system?
The ranking system is universal and is used for all HSC students, regardless of where they sit their papers.

I'm doing Classical Hebrew through my school, i'm the only one from my school, does that mean that my assessment mark will not count ib the calculation of my final mark whatsoever, because my rank is obviously 1 and the BOS has no one to compare me from my school?
I believe that this is correct - your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to your examination mark. However, this doesn't mean that you can simply forget about your assessments, as your raw mark would be used to estimate your exam mark if for some reason you weren't able to sit the paper (e.g. illness/misadventure).

Golani

Thanks for all the info Laz it's greaty appreciated!

However, i am sure that she topped the centre in the HSC exam because i learned in the same place (but i was just doing it through my school ) so i know the people very well.

I'm still a bit confused about this matter unfortuantely :(

Last edited:

Golani

oh btw, i've got another one for ya Laz.
If you do your 8 units in a separate year from a single subject (my Hebrew which i did in year 11), is your single subject affected by the scaling and percentiles and such of the year you did the subject or the rest of your hsc?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
oh btw, i've got another one for ya Laz.
If you do your 8 units in a separate year from a single subject (my Hebrew which i did in year 11), is your single subject affected by the scaling and percentiles and such of the year you did the subject or the rest of your hsc?
sorry I'm not Laz, but anyway, the scaling/percentiles etc of the subject u did in yr11 is affected by the 2002 statistics...the rest of your subjects are affected by 2003 statistics

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Minai is correct.

And, she truly could not have topped the centre in the exam - the situation you described cannot occur. I suggest you find out what her actual moderated assessment mark was, as reported on her Record of Achievement. That might shed some light on the matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)