Work Experience in Area of Commerce? (Year 10) (1 Viewer)

mleiu

HSC
Hey y'all. I'm in year 10 and I am extremely interested in the prospect of doing unpaid work experience at a commerce related company/firm. I've got KPMG's number down, but was wondering if any other reputable firms would accept year 10 students?

For everybody whose studying a commerce related course at uni, and had a chance to do WE at any of the companies in the field in year 10, if you can give me advice/insights, that'd be very much appreciated.

I'll call KPMG up this week, but want other back ups as well, as it is a bit late in the year for this.. so if you can give me recommendation, that'd be great :cool:

TY

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mleiu said:
Hey y'all. I'm in year 10 and I am extremely interested in the prospect of doing unpaid work experience at a commerce related company/firm. I've got KPMG's number down, but was wondering if any other reputable firms would accept year 10 students?

For everybody whose studying a commerce related course at uni, and had a chance to do WE at any of the companies in the field in year 10, if you can give me advice/insights, that'd be very much appreciated.

I'll call KPMG up this week, but want other back ups as well, as it is a bit late in the year for this.. so if you can give me recommendation, that'd be great :cool:

TY
Good luck. I also did w/e in a big4 firm but I knew one of the partners so that helped alot.

If I were u, I would definitely get some more backup options because it's not that easy to get w/e in a big4 firm off the bat.

Other places, check out BRW Top 100 if you're curious for what other firms are out there.

jc.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
hey nice to see tht ur up so late researching for work experience rather than out partying or on msn.. lol

i didnt get a chance to do work experience in yr 10, got rejected by all firms in yr 11, including accounting and finance firms in which i had huge contacts... but in yr 12 finally got work experience at 2 different places, one was a finance firm n one a chemist.

moral (lol): be patient, ull get rejected heaps of times, but if u really want it, ull try really hard!

my advice: yes ok u can try big firms like KPMG, but go for a much smaller firm, like ur local accounting business or even any services firm where u can do secretarial work, n build ur resume, n then yr 11, with a much more colourful resume, u can apply for a mid-tier or large accounting/other commerce related firm... this is becoz bigger firms like KPMG really dnt have the time for school students like us, n they dnt really want us!!!!! they want ppl who can perform and get results, not some1 whom they hav to supervise n take care of. sorry to be harsh but its true. so its in ur best interest to apply for smaller firms....

Firms similar to KPMG include ofcourse, PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Ernst & Young, Deloitte, Moore Stephens, Camphin Boston, Duncan Dovico, UBS, AMP etc etc.

depending on which area you live in, you could try local firms (for Sydney): Marzoll Ball Accountants (Mortdale), Matouk's Lawyers (several places including Liverpool). And also try searching for Papandreas Partners - its an small-tier accounting firm. Your best bet is trying some local accounting firm, in hurstville theres heaps of chinese ones, in auburn theres turkish ones etc etc. just walk in n leave your resume with the manager (if its a small firm make sure u speak with the manager n tell them ull call back to check if they dnt call)...do this at as many places as possible - thers one in EVERY area!

if u need specific places and contacts, pm me the suburb ur looking for n i hope i can help u!

good lucK!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
lol, seremify wud be in a better position to answer the question, so i guess they do take school students, but u gotta hav very good contacts!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ wow that's a dedicated post lol.

and, i'm supposed to be doing a damn uni assignment due on monday but my group has gone to sleep. sigh.

edit: the connection was actually my neighbour lol. never underestimate the neighbours.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
hahah yea i got nothing better to do! i shud be studying for accounting and italian which i have nxt week, but hey helping a yr 10 student for WE is much more important ay?!

hahah my neighbour is useless! i got work exp at AMP thru my brother!!!! it was awesome! opening like one thousand envelopes everyday, n when i finished that, i got more envelopes. lol but i did do some computer work too - analysis of forms n reporting to team leader on mistakes made my managers!!!!!!!

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I thought I'd join in on the procrastination as well. I'm supposed to be studying for my mid-years.

mleiu

HSC
TY everyone for your advice, has been endlessly useful and it is very much appreciated (especially with the whole jigging your assignments and to do lists and all :D).

I'll ring all these big firms up Monday - it can't hurt, right? Besides, I heard from my career advisor a past student of the school got to do work experience with KPMG (and consequently, received a cadetship from them) which was why I got my hopes up -- she might have contacts in the firm, too, though.

I'll definitely give them all a try, and contact the smaller companies as well :)

hey nice to see tht ur up so late researching for work experience rather than out partying or on msn.. lol
Ahas, I am on MSN though :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely doesn't hurt to try. Maybe your careers advisor can help you with connections.

On a sidenote, bear in mind most firms don't have a work experience program in place so you'll likely be doing very ad-hoc work (i.e. mostly administrative things)- therefore it's not so much what you know in terms of knowledge, but your attitude towards doing tasks assigned to you and showing initiative, which can ultimately impact your appraisal at the end of the work experience program, and potentially future job offers.

HSC
im trying to find work experience in a good law firm but it has been very difficult.
could someone please help me?
im desperate here. :eek:

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
midnightpianist said:
im trying to find work experience in a good law firm but it has been very difficult.
could someone please help me?
im desperate here. :eek:

Send out e-mails to the HR people at however many firms you wish to apply, stressing your passion for law and the profession, and it also will help if you make it clear to them that you're flexible and won't be a burden. I got into a good firm, although I knew someone there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)