Accounting or economics? (1 Viewer)

tonyyyyy

HSC
Hey im looking to pursue a career in finance, or as an investment banker in the future, and am wondering with vce subject is most related to finance ie shares, investing etc..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Economics probably more useful at your level since accounting will be very much a book keeping course.

Schroeder

HSC
Accounting is management of money for a small business. Only manual book keeping really. Nothing to do with finance so Economics would probably be the better option.

asap531

HSC
I'm doing both accounting and economics right now, and I can tell you from "help for the future" perspective I would definitely do economics. It provides you with indepth knowledge about the economy that is both practical and useful, whereas accounting is mainly book-keeping and filling out reports (tedious stuff that can get quite boring, and frankly is ultimately useless from a finance point-of-view).

princess_neko

HSC
econ all the way. accounting is more of the book keeping part i suppose.
you can take a business/commerce degree, majoring in economics and finance, or
an economics degree, majoring in economics and finance =)

whoisurdaddy

HSC
For financial analysis/corporate finance I believe accounting is much more useful than economics which is quite redundant at the undergraduate level.
An example of when accounting is more useful than economics in finance is during valuations and M&A for investment banking. In my opinion I would try to do all three (accounting, finance and economics).

PS: Actually nvm I just realised this is at the vce level lol... go with economics definitely.

Chibimaru

HSC
Uni economics units are not the same as your HSC course. High school knowledge will not net you distinctions and high distinctions because it is not detailed enough, and uni requirements are much more particular. It's been said that many students who top Eco in first year have no previous study of the subject. Working on a clean slate is not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, economics is always changing (especially labour economics) so what you learn may become obsolete. Take fundamental subjects like Maths (go ext. I or II) because a sound mathematical foundation will be be very helpful later for understanding econometrics (not just learning to number crunch SPSS).

But honestly, just choose whatever subjects you're better at and interested in. Much as I hate to say it, your aim at this stage is to achieve the highest ATAR you can. Your aspirations are likely to change in the next couple of years, so you'll want to keep your options open.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)