How much do investment bankers earn?? (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
lol not another thread.... do a search.

Also, have a look at this website http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/

More specifically, this article as its more accurate for Australian IB http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-australia-edition/
this, however it varies depeding on what 'type' of IB you want to do and the size of the bonus each year.

M&A:
Analyst - First Year: $70k - $150k
Analyst - Third Year: $120K - $350K
Associate - First Year: $150K - $350K
Associate - Third Year: $250K - $500K
Vice Presidents: $350K - $1.5MM
Managing Directors/Partners: $500K - $20MM+
keep in mind these are estimates and can vary with the state of the economy etc

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
this, however it varies depeding on what 'type' of IB you want to do and the size of the bonus each year.

M&A:
When most people say they want to be work in an IB, they're mostly referring to M&A roles. In Australia, the bases tend to be higher with smaller bonuses compared to NY/London, however those estimates seem about right with others I've seen.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Not enough to make it worthwhile. So many ways to make more money than the figures you're talking about, especially for the hours you put in and the age required to hit these types of salaries on average.

There are even some 27 year old 1st year M&A analysts every now and then and they think they're baller. But don't worry, we all go through phases where we look up to these people - I did too when I was 19.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh absolutely. Some of these figures look amazing. Like $1.5m for a VP who might be 29 or even $20m+ for MD at say 38. If you've been in the industry for a while you'll know that's much rarer these days especially in Australia. If you bank on yourself being one of them and therefore get in to the industry, you'll be very disappointed.

barbernator

HSC
Oh absolutely. Some of these figures look amazing. Like $1.5m for a VP who might be 29 or even $20m+ for MD at say 38. If you've been in the industry for a while you'll know that's much rarer these days especially in Australia. If you bank on yourself being one of them and therefore get in to the industry, you'll be very disappointed.
someone has to do it bro. you just gotta be the best of the best

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Not enough to make it worthwhile. So many ways to make more money than the figures you're talking about, especially for the hours you put in and the age required to hit these types of salaries on average.

There are even some 27 year old 1st year M&A analysts every now and then and they think they're baller. But don't worry, we all go through phases where we look up to these people - I did too when I was 19.
Like?

HSC
To be honest, the $/hour is pretty poor

you'd make that sorta coin in several jobs, if they offered that much overtime

otherwise, business ownership/management is good, higher level engineers/doctors etc

but at the end of the day, there's no doubt IBers make the most, it just boils down to there's other things in life than money. That and the fact that there's not very much room for having pride in your work.

HSC
also srsly

the figures are a bit high for Aus, esp. considering the deal size/volume in aus

bonuses r defs smaller

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, the $/hour is pretty poor

you'd make that sorta coin in several jobs, if they offered that much overtime

otherwise, business ownership/management is good, higher level engineers/doctors etc

but at the end of the day, there's no doubt IBers make the most, it just boils down to there's other things in life than money. That and the fact that there's not very much room for having pride in your work.
This is more important. As a result, you work shitloads and won't have time for other things. In fact, you may have lost heaps of opportunities (mostly socially based), including making money elsewhere.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
This is more important. As a result, you work shitloads and won't have time for other things. In fact, you may have lost heaps of opportunities (mostly socially based), including making money elsewhere.
Couldn't working for 1-2 years in an IB open up more opportunities to invest in real estate etc? Even move on to other well paying finance jobs which have better work/life balance.

HSC
Uni Grad
Couldn't working for 1-2 years in an IB open up more opportunities to invest in real estate etc? Even move on to other well paying finance jobs which have better work/life balance.
I guess you could say that. Not exactly sure what other finance jobs there are that have better pay and less hours though, although it would be hard to do. I hear consulting could be down on that list.

Not sure but I was told that the hours in IB become somewhat lower as you get promoted, but still pretty intense (someone clarify for me pls).

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh i think there is a substantial drop in hours between associate and VP, but I imagine there is still a lot of unpredictability in terms of when you could be called into the office.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I guess you could say that. Not exactly sure what other finance jobs there are that have better pay and less hours though, although it would be hard to do. I hear consulting could be down on that list.

Not sure but I was told that the hours in IB become somewhat lower as you get promoted, but still pretty intense (someone clarify for me pls).
I didn't mean better pay for less hours, but with less hours and probably better $/hr.

Yeh i think there is a substantial drop in hours between associate and VP, but I imagine there is still a lot of unpredictability in terms of when you could be called into the office.
Aren't VP's the first to go during a recession, not a very stable career...

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it helps. But saving say $70k in your first year and then another $80k in your second year doesn't open up that much opportunities... What you think you're going to do in real estate with $150k hmm?

I've been there, done that, done it better than what most here aspire to do probably - you're aiming for a 94/95 ATAR, I got a 99.95. Got in to the banks you're talking about (GS, JPM etc), hit 1 or 2 boom years before the bust (the pay you'll probably see in IB will be nowhere near what people get in my days), moved on and did better elsewhere, probably have enough passive income to retire for life after just turning 27, but I won't settle until I hit $500m or at least try doing so.

What I can tell you from life experience is if you're just busting your chops to save a 100k or 200k and think it'll have a big impact, it probably isn't going to. Unless you're happy to settle for buying some of the $800k townhouses my consortium is looking at building on one of the pieces of land holdings in my real estate portfolio which you seem to think all ibankers have. The number of ibankers who don't even have an investment property at 30 will amaze you. I haven't bought anything sub $2m for 2 years now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to judge. If some people have relatively modest aspirations that's fine. But don't be deluded in to thinking ib is something that's going to make you big bucks.

Last edited:

matsing

HSC

M&A:
those are very optimistic estimates. people don't get your hopes up and base you uni decisions solely on this.

HSC
Yes it helps. But saving say $70k in your first year and then another $80k in your second year doesn't open up that much opportunities... What you think you're going to do in real estate with $150k hmm?

I've been there, done that, done it better than what most here aspire to do probably - you're aiming for a 94/95 ATAR, I got a 99.95. Got in to the banks you're talking about (GS, JPM etc), hit 1 or 2 boom years before the bust (the pay you'll probably see in IB will be nowhere near what people get in my days), moved on and did better elsewhere, probably have enough passive income to retire for life after just turning 27, but I won't settle until I hit $500m or at least try doing so.

What I can tell you from life experience is if you're just busting your chops to save a 100k or 200k and think it'll have a big impact, it probably isn't going to. Unless you're happy to settle for buying some of the $800k townhouses my consortium is looking at building on one of the pieces of land holdings in my real estate portfolio which you seem to think all ibankers have. The number of ibankers who don't even have an investment property at 30 will amaze you. I haven't bought anything sub $2m for 2 years now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to judge. If some people have relatively modest aspirations that's fine. But don't be deluded in to thinking ib is something that's going to make you big bucks.
how do people expect to save 70k in first year from a, at best 110k salary...while living in the CBD.

unless your parents have hooked u up with a cbd apartment, gl with that yo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)