Major choice and grades (1 Viewer)

Kipling

HSC
I am currently studying Commerce (UNSW) but thinking of transferring to Commerce/Economics to be able to major in econometrics. The reason is I have been convinced that this would display some quantitative competence that perhaps is not as obvious with a straight Commerce degree or with the other economic majors. Furthermore I did enjoy the statistics course I completed last semester.

From general research it seems that econometrics courses are relatively more difficult than the regular economic courses. Would future employers take this into account regarding grades? Is it worth pushing myself to attempt a more difficult major, or is it more beneficial just to choose the somewhat easier path and ace it?

Does majoring in econometrics as opposed to economics or financial economics give you somewhat of an edge?

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
What's your objective in doing the course? Any particular job/careers you want to try and get into to?

Seemingly since your 2nd out of third year right now, im guessing you've been applying for internships? How's that going for you? If you secured a decent internship then there might not be a need to transfer into a double degree, however if your not getting anywhere and have an interest then yeah, it's a decent idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)