Cadetships 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Noticed that there was no thread for cadetships in 2016 so I made one.

Useful threads:

Feel free to suggest more links.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
No 2016 one cause it's abit early, but the earlier the better I guess. Previous threads really answer everything you ever need to know if you look deep enough, but I know some of you here are lazy so you can fire away too.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Yeh there was, but it was mostly useless and conflicting information.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Here is my yearly mention of how good Trebla's guides are. Definitely check them out if you're looking to go through the application process. It may say it's for Graduate Recruitement but it is definitely applicable.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ent-process-part-1-–-online-applications.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ment-process-part-2-psychometric-testing.html

Also quick PSA. There's a misconception that PwC has stopped offering Traineeships (Cadetships) but that is NOT the case. They were restructuring their recruitment process which is why they didn't run the program last year. It's back this year and they have it back on their website.

Last edited:

Chronost

HSC
Here is my yearly mention of how good Trebla's guides are. Definitely check them out if you're looking to go through the application process. It may say it's for Graduate Recruitement but it is definitely applicable.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ent-process-part-1-–-online-applications.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ment-process-part-2-psychometric-testing.html

Also quick PSA. There's a misconception that PwC has stopped offering Traineeships (Cadetships) but that is NOT the case. They were restructuring their recruitment process which is why they didn't run the program last year. It's back this year and they have it back on their website.
I think the problem was because PwC didn't communicate very well last year, there was conflicting sources from both sides (internally and at events) saying if it was running or not (plus their website was very seldom updated about it) and I think they just pulled the plug last minute but didn't issue an official statement - think that was a bit lame of them.

Good to know they're back now though (Y), and I'm liking the new website - sleeeek

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I think the problem was because PwC didn't communicate very well last year, there was conflicting sources from both sides (internally and at events) saying if it was running or not (plus their website was very seldom updated about it) and I think they just pulled the plug last minute but didn't issue an official statement - think that was a bit lame of them.

Good to know they're back now though (Y), and I'm liking the new website - sleeeek
Yeah from what I can gauge, even internally there was a lot of uncertainity as to what was going on. Since they just couldn't get it ready in time they pulled the plug on it for that year. I'm definitely glad it's back. It would have been a shame if only one of the Big 4 were offering cadetships.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

[emoji4]

Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be running a workshop on effective resume and cover letter writing on March 19th which extends on what was written in those threads (see signature for details).

As Chronost mentioned, the earlier you are prepared for the application process the better.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
[emoji4]

Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be running a workshop on effective resume and cover letter writing on March 19th which extends on what was written in those threads (see signature for details).

As Chronost mentioned, the earlier you are prepared for the application process the better.
Yep. With rolling recruitment, it doesn't hurt to submit earlier.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
UBS applications open today.

Last edited:

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com/~/media/Files/Employment_Guide_2016.ashx

Really good document for anyone looking for a cadetship, vaccie program or even looking to land some casual/undergrad work during their degree. Has all the firms listed out with what they offer as well. Definitely have a look if you're looking to apply.

Also wanted to add, a lot of people go in with the attitude that they'll only apply for the Big 4 and apply for nothing else. That's definitely a mistake in my opinion. Industry work experience is valuable regardless of where it is from so apply for everything to have the best chance.

Chronost

HSC
https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com/~/media/Files/Employment_Guide_2016.ashx

Really good document for anyone looking for a cadetship, vaccie program or even looking to land some casual/undergrad work during their degree. Has all the firms listed out with what they offer as well. Definitely have a look if you're looking to apply.

Also wanted to add, a lot of people go in with the attitude that they'll only apply for the Big 4 and apply for nothing else. That's definitely a mistake in my opinion. Industry work experience is valuable regardless of where it is from so apply for everything to have the best chance.
^Good guide to use each year - helped me a lot when i was applying for cadetships knowing which firms take cadets

And yeah what Phaze said, in aggregate the smaller and mid-tiers recruit alooot of cadets, so if you're actually keen for a cadetship then definitely give them a go too

-Senpai

HSC

I definitely agree with this

I knew more than 20 people who applied for Big 4 cadetships only because of the prestige - None of them were successful

In general, you'll find that small and mid-tier firms tend to offer similar pay, incentives (e.g. Subsidising uni textbook fees, providing uni leave, bonuses, etc.) and experiences to that of the Big 4.

I also recommend that you keep on searching for cadetships as it's never too late - I applied earlier this year and began my cadetship in February

Keep an eye out for firms with a culture that you're comfortable with and suited to, as well as having people who are genuinely interested in your career progression

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Everything that has been said above is so true.

Plus, by the time you graduate you will have gained a lot of experience. If you still want to apply for a role in Big 4, you now have a big advantage over graduates with no experience. You can apply for experienced careers too! And even during your cadetship you could change firms if a position became available.

Don't limit yourself to a few firms. Apply for everything, and hopefully you'll be able to take your pick. If not, work hard to get what you want!

Chronost

HSC

I knew more than 20 people who applied for Big 4 cadetships only because of the prestige - None of them were successful

In general, you'll find that small and mid-tier firms tend to offer similar pay, incentives (e.g. Subsidising uni textbook fees, providing uni leave, bonuses, etc.) and experiences to that of the Big 4.

I also recommend that you keep on searching for cadetships as it's never too late - I applied earlier this year and began my cadetship in February

Keep an eye out for firms with a culture that you're comfortable with and suited to, as well as having people who are genuinely interested in your career progression
I don't disagree with what you said in general(I really don't) - but big 4 does generally have better pay then many small/mid-tier firms, it is a few k, but percentage wise and being the age you do a cadetship, it can be significant. In addition small things(which add up over the years) like having a full 7.5 hours for uni versus half that for many of the firms I know, bonuses (this depends on year/firm - alot of firms don't even have bonus structures for cadets etcs) and general wellbeing incentives are actually much better at big 4 (most small tier and some mid tiers don't even have such a thing ?? -).

Most significant thing to talk about is that experiences are quite different in big 4 vs everywhere else, the scale of clients,hours and work you do will differ significantly to what small and mid tiers do, it's definitely not the same environment - and that's definitely something that's not "similar".

Not to mention the sheer size and diversity of networks you develop there (if you want) can lead to many things later down your career.

(I can also safely say I had friends who went just because of "prestige" and got in, because as a student that's really all most students know when applying, but the firm can recognise their qualities and interests and take them in, many don't get in just because competition is quite high these years, and the interest is allowing many to research and prepare for these things quite early ahead of the pack)

As said though, it's all about what your comfortable and fill your suited to, weight the pro's and con's basically - there's been a list of them in previous threads if you just search them, and has been talked before , so I don't really feel like starting another one .

Also like Ilikecats said, if you still really want a big 4 position, you have a true 1 up against non-experienced potential grads/interns just because the experience in a small/mid tier in general is still recognised as valuable to big 4, because really if you understand the basis of your role and some technicals already, you can definitely get somewhere in the firm.

I'm not even in big 4 (i have a few close connections though), but I can recognise they have better benefits in general (which is offset unfortunately by certain factors- but that's for another time :p)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC

There is definitely a difference between Big 4 v Mid Tier v Small Firms when it comes to cadetships. The variance in pay/incentives can in MOST cases be flexible but in terms of benefits/perks around taking time off for uni, exam leave and what not. On top of that the corporate culture and support at work will vary across firms as well. I say this not to deter anyone from applying for firms besides the Big 4, I DEFINITELY suggest you apply for a variety of firms. But I just want to make sure there are no misconceptions. NONE of these will be an issue if you just talk it out with the HR contacts before you accept your contract.

As Chronost said, there is that reputation different firms carry, even outside the Big 4 Firms like Grant Thornton and BDO are extremely reputable and will carry a lot more weight than a very small accounting firm. That is just how it is when it comes to any industry. Regardless of all of this, work experience, and more specifically industry work experience, is an extremely valuable asset to have in your arsenal when you look for jobs in your final year. Apply for every single opportunity and if your choice is no work experience or a Mid-Tier/Small firms, then go for the Mid-Tier/Small firms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)