High paying jobs where lifestyle creep isn't expected? (1 Viewer)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Where in the commerce industry can I get a job that pays really well without being almost expected to squander my fortune on expensive cars, clothes, suits and watches etc.

enoilgam

HSC
Where in the commerce industry can I get a job that pays really well without being almost expected to squander my fortune on expensive cars, clothes, suits and watches etc.
If there are industries like this, it's news to me. I mean, IB, MBB and some professional services firms might be full of alphas, but I dont think it's like this to be honest.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Law, Investment Banking, Top IT firms are all examples of places I've heard massive lifestyle creep kicks in and people are ridiculed and looked down upon for not blowing their ridiculous paychecks on luxuries.

enoilgam

HSC
Law, Investment Banking, Top IT firms are all examples of places I've heard massive lifestyle creep kicks in and people are ridiculed and looked down upon for not blowing their ridiculous paychecks on luxuries.
I think you've been watching too many movies. It might be true to a small extent, but I dont really think it is a big issue.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
or have a backbone and don't succumb to peer pressure

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In all fairness part of the challenge is you may need a degree of it to actually do your job. For example, in many of these careers, eventually it involves an element of salesmanship and relationships - and it's in these moments that it's not just about your technical competence but also your ability to connect and build relationships. If you can't even get into the bar which they're in, you aren't able to play golf/squash/etc, or you just simply have nothing to talk about, then it can sometimes make things a bit more challenging.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Go become Oliver Curtis and go Insider Trading and go to jail and regret with kids

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I can tell right now the suits and clothes part is only partly true, but really anywhere in commerce you should have half decent clothes on so it's not a thing just for the "top tier" jobs.

Watches are 50/50, not all of them wear watches even these days or it is a smart watch instead which only costs like $150.

The biggest kicker is the cars part - I can tell you a lot of them drive really moderate cars (as in max $10-15k value) and much rather save for a house or thinking of starting their own business/start-up

A lot of them actually save a large chunk, not spend.

Info from: 3 Associates in IB and big 6 law

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I can tell right now the suits and clothes part is only partly true, but really anywhere in commerce you should have half decent clothes on so it's not a thing just for the "top tier" jobs.

Watches are 50/50, not all of them wear watches even these days or it is a smart watch instead which only costs like $150.

The biggest kicker is the cars part - I can tell you a lot of them drive really moderate cars (as in max $10-15k value) and much rather save for a house or thinking of starting their own business/start-up

A lot of them actually save a large chunk, not spend.

Info from: 3 Associates in IB and big 6 law
Even in my field, I used to get laughed at for my lack of watch... but then Apple Watch became the 'in' thing :)

Agreed most people don't drive super flashy cars but it depends on the role and how much client entertainment is involved. And post GFC there was also some concern about what image your car projects - didn't worry me as I bought myself a brand new and somewhat humble Lancer ;)

turntaker

HSC
Even in my field, I used to get laughed at for my lack of watch... but then Apple Watch became the 'in' thing :)

Agreed most people don't drive super flashy cars but it depends on the role and how much client entertainment is involved. And post GFC there was also some concern about what image your car projects - didn't worry me as I bought myself a brand new and somewhat humble Lancer ;)
doesn't a lancer still cost 100K in singapore lol

Chronost

HSC

Jelly of all your cars seriously !!

enoilgam

HSC
If you work Full Time and require a suit and tie, you will need at least $1200 to build a decent wardrobe I reckon. Even though I work in government, I do invest a fair bit in work stuff because I think being well dressed shows attention to detail and because I enjoy wearing nice stuff.

Im not hugely into watches and I know this will make me sound like a wanker, but I seriously want to get a Rolex. My parents are going overseas at the end of the year so Im going to see if they can get it for me tax free.

Chronost

HSC
If you work Full Time and require a suit and tie, you will need at least $1200 to build a decent wardrobe I reckon. Even though I work in government, I do invest a fair bit in work stuff because I think being well dressed shows attention to detail and because I enjoy wearing nice stuff.

Im not hugely into watches and I know this will make me sound like a wanker, but I seriously want to get a Rolex. My parents are going overseas at the end of the year so Im going to see if they can get it for me tax free.
Your suit looked nice when I saw that one time up (Y)

Aye I like watches. I'm always like meh if I see a Tissot,Gucci etc.. on someone, but then secretly I also want a nice watch on my hand :"(

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly many industries pay well from medical, to legal, to finance, to engineering (ie $200k+)

But in Australia, no one needs to squander their money on expensive cars, houses, toys even if they're in high paying industries. Most of my investment banking (VP+ levels) friends either don't own a car or own a non-luxury car. You're not judged on these things. If you think you are, you need to be in USA or China because you'll fit perfectly in.

Confound

HSC
You could go into transaction services at big 4? Not sure how much they pay but it is in line with audit. Audit gets a decent amount after 3-5 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)