Degree advice (1 Viewer)

jwc123

HSC
N/A
For a bit of context, I've got the Macquarie GLEP offer for Law/Commerce but I'm a bit worried about the quality of their commerce (at least the perception of the quality) compared to the top unis UNSW/USYD. Honestly I feel like I want to focus on the business side of my education with law as extra knowledge.

So basically I'm doing the LAT to get into UNSW Law/Com (This would be my only chance to get into law in the "top" unis) but I feel that is very uncertain so I've decided to start considering other double degrees to combine with Commerce or potentially Economics.

Any suggestions on what non-law degrees I could take to improve the quality of my education and future? I would like to get involved with startups during my university program, so it would help if I knew what kind of students they'd want however I do want to keep my career options open.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
TLDR UNSW, USyd, UTS and MQ Commerce degrees are all viewed quite well in the industry. Sure there will be differences, but granted your marks are well I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage for going to MQ.

Regarding your second question, if you're doing the double degree to get some versatility and you want to work in startups, you could consider combining your Commerce degree with some sort of tech related degree as that's always in high demand. A lot of it will come down to the majors you do for your Commerce degree and not the other degree you do with it.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Phaze. Macquarie is still a really good uni and if you do well in Macquarie you'll be fine.

Take a second degree in what interests you most, or what kind of start-ups you want to get involved with. If you're looking to get into tech start-ups, obviously take something computer focused.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
TLDR UNSW, USyd, UTS and MQ Commerce degrees are all viewed quite well in the industry. Sure there will be differences, but granted your marks are well I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage for going to MQ.

Regarding your second question, if you're doing the double degree to get some versatility and you want to work in startups, you could consider combining your Commerce degree with some sort of tech related degree as that's always in high demand. A lot of it will come down to the majors you do for your Commerce degree and not the other degree you do with it.
UTS and MQ are viewed on the same level? The prestige of Usyd and UMelb are unmatched

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
UTS and MQ are viewed on the same level? The prestige of Usyd and UMelb are unmatched

Maybe read my post properly? You're not shooting yourself in the foot by going to UTS or MQ since UTS and MQ Commerce degrees are still recognised as an acceptable course in most if not all major firms.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
How many people do IBs and MBB hire from Macquarie and UTS? Obviously there are exceptions, but stats don't lie

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
How many people do IBs and MBB hire from Macquarie and UTS? Obviously there are exceptions, but stats don't lie
Firstly, not to burst any bubbles, but there is a lot more out there besides IBs and MBB.

Secondly, what stats are you referring to? Just because more people might be hired from USyd doesn't mean that it's the prestige that puts you ahead of other candidates, correlation =/= causation. It could come down to the fact that since universities like USyd have higher cut-offs they have students who are more academically driven therefore produce applicants who have better marks on average in comparison to those at other uni's with lower cut offs. Sure this might result in MORE people getting hired from these unis due to the majority of them having better marks than other applicants, however, this won't make a difference to someone who's decided to go Macquarie and work just as hard to achieve good marks there.

End of the day your marks only get you through the door and after that it's about showing the recruiters how you think and what you can do. If you show them that you're good enough and that you'll kill it in the role then you'll have the edge. The "prestige" of a university only matters if you're comparing some unrecognized small sub-par university with one of the major unis.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Clearly you've had no background in recruiting. I can also tell you they would much rather hire from UWA and UQ than UTS.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Clearly you've had no background in recruiting. I can also tell you they would much rather hire from UWA and UQ than UTS.
On the basis of this sweeping generalisation I doubt you have any background in recruiting either. Sure, we cannot rule out there may be some biases in recruitment for some organisations but not the outright discrimination you seem to be implying.

There are plenty of examples of UTS and Macq students in grad programs of large organisations (I should point out in my own grad year - the number from Macq actually outnumbered those from USyd and UNSW). You can also look at grad profiles of various institutions to see that there are examples of UTS and Macq students there as well.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Lmao calm down there pals, I'm completely joking
If you are actually 'trolling' as you claim to be then you do realise I now have grounds to infract you for doing jusy that (given this is a uni forum) right?

fladdarn

HSC
If you are actually 'trolling' as you claim to be then you do realise I now have grounds to infract you for doing jusy that (given this is a uni forum) right?
You really dropped the mod card there, are you living the career dream at 30 years old?

jwc123

HSC
N/A
Some of these comments weren't what I expected. Ignoring the whole mid tier vs top tier debate, what degrees should I consider combining with commerce?

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Comm/science isn't bad. You can take a math/stats etc major which will give you additional skills for work in business. You could easy major in something you'd like to join a startup in like biochemistry for example in a med tech company.

Some sort of combined actuarial degree could also be nice as quantitative risk seems to be in demand. Lots of possibilities, try figure out where in business you wanna major that will help you narrow it down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)