Level of English for BCom/ General questions (1 Viewer)

rikahS

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently a Year 12 student getting around 75-85 in Advanced English within a rank 100 school. I was wondering whether my relatively low English ability would greatly limit my performance in a BCom degree(UNSW)? Also, if there is anyone here who has typically been science orientated throughout high-school and then chose a more business-sy type degree in uni, how has that turned out for you and if you had the chance to go back, would you choose a science degree?

Thanks!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I'm currently a Year 12 student getting around 75-85 in Advanced English within a rank 100 school. I was wondering whether my relatively low English ability would greatly limit my performance in a BCom degree(UNSW)? Also, if there is anyone here who has typically been science orientated throughout high-school and then chose a more business-sy type degree in uni, how has that turned out for you and if you had the chance to go back, would you choose a science degree?

Thanks!
If your school marks HSC standard then you should be fine.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Having good English skills in Year 11 and 12 helps in university level essays.

The styles of writing in Year 11/12 English and university essays is different though. I find with university essays there is more referencing and sourcing for books to support your ideas in an essay.I do find the structuring in English Advanced and Standard a bit unusual though. I read Cambridge checkpoints for HSC English and I never really understood why you have short paragraphs and long paragraphs mixed in an essay. Im more used to the standard (intro , 3 paragraphs and conclusion) format . (also tested in IELTS academic style writing)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In all honesty I don't think it matters that much. It'll help in extended response type questions and on assignments but depending on university, you may be up against people with an extremely minimal or limited grasp of written English.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Tbh, you don't need good language to flatter them (unless you wanna major management). All you need is decent communication skills to express the point/solution you are proposing. Most of the commerce subjects at least in 1st year is mainly mathematics.

The point is, you can speak sqrt(-1) amounts of English, however if you get your point across by other means, you will still do well.

(someone call me out if this isn't true in the later years)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)