Which Commerce major? (1 Viewer)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
So, I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who's having an incredibly tough time deciding on which degree to study but also which commerce major to take. The options are:
Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of IT at UTS
Bachelor of Economics at USYD
and possibly
Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of IT at USyd (if he gets in because his grades are bordering the cutoff)

As for majors, he's considering Economics, Finance, Business Analytics, and BIS (as a second major if he does the Economics degree at USYD).

Which is more interesting, difficult, and relevant to a career in business? Is it worth taking Business Analytics at undergraduate level or should he just stick to Economics/Finance and then do an MBA or some other postgraduate course (he's planning on doing postgraduate work but isn't interested in Economics Honours or academia in general)
Also I've heard economics can get dry in later years. How true is this, and which major do employers prefer?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Any career pathways that he would like to take?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
So, I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who's having an incredibly tough time deciding on which degree to study but also which commerce major to take. The options are:
Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of IT at UTS
Bachelor of Economics at USYD
and possibly
Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of IT at USyd (if he gets in because his grades are bordering the cutoff)

As for majors, he's considering Economics, Finance, Business Analytics, and BIS (as a second major if he does the Economics degree at USYD).

Which is more interesting, difficult, and relevant to a career in business? Is it worth taking Business Analytics at undergraduate level or should he just stick to Economics/Finance and then do an MBA or some other postgraduate course (he's planning on doing postgraduate work but isn't interested in Economics Honours or academia in general)
Also I've heard economics can get dry in later years. How true is this, and which major do employers prefer?
As a warning, the BIS major at USyd is quite appalling in my opinion. Unlike other major universities, the BIS major at USyd doesn't really include a technical component so the students don't even learn programming/coding on a basic level. If there is a genuine interest in IT/Tech then doing Information Technology or Information Systems as a B.Science major would be MUCH more beneficial.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Any career pathways that he would like to take?
He's got his eye on something along the lines of IT within the business sector/business intelligence, not so much software development. He eventually wants to work his way up to a project management position.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
As a warning, the BIS major at USyd is quite appalling in my opinion. Unlike other major universities, the BIS major at USyd doesn't really include a technical component so the students don't even learn programming/coding on a basic level. If there is a genuine interest in IT/Tech then doing Information Technology or Information Systems as a B.Science major would be MUCH more beneficial.
oh ok, thanks for the heads up. Do you think taking some information systems electives from the science faculty in addition to the BIS major would make up for that?

si2136

HSC
N/A
USYD Major in Management, BIS isn't that reputable at USYD, compared to UNSW.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
oh ok, thanks for the heads up. Do you think taking some information systems electives from the science faculty in addition to the BIS major would make up for that?
It will definitely provide more of an understanding but there still wont be a huge level of competence in programming. That being said, it's something you can definitely self-teach if you put in the time and effort.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
It will definitely provide more of an understanding but there still wont be a huge level of competence in programming. That being said, it's something you can definitely self-teach if you put in the time and effort.
Got it.
The person above suggested management. In the event that he decides to go the B.Econ route (which forces an econ major on you), would it be better to take a second major in Information Systems from the science faculty or Management from the business school? Not really sure how relevant Management is to business intelligence and IT in business.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Cant speak to the degree combination, but in relation to the majors there isnt really a need to pick right now. Id go into uni open minded and do the core units first before narrowing down on a major. I went into Commerce intending to do either finance or accounting and ended up in HR.

PS. Plus one for Kaylee, definitely the best character from Firefly I reckon.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Cant speak to the degree combination, but in relation to the majors there isnt really a need to pick right now. Id go into uni open minded and do the core units first before narrowing down on a major. I went into Commerce intending to do either finance or accounting and ended up in HR.

PS. Plus one for Kaylee, definitely the best character from Firefly I reckon.
The thing is if he doesn't get into Commerce/IT at USYD then he has to choose between B.Econ at USYD and B.Business/IT at UTS which are very different because the Econ degree restricts you by forcing an Economics major so if he wants a second major he has to make up his mind from year one otherwise he won't have enough room in the degree. He'd prefer to attend USYD whih is why we're sort of discussing whether or not majoring in Economics and Information Systems would disadvantage him compared to someone doing Business/IT at UTS.

Also, thanks :D lol she totally is!

enoilgam

HSC
The thing is if he doesn't get into Commerce/IT at USYD then he has to choose between B.Econ at USYD and B.Business/IT at UTS which are very different because the Econ degree restricts you by forcing an Economics major so if he wants a second major he has to make up his mind from year one otherwise he won't have enough room in the degree. He'd prefer to attend USYD whih is why we're sort of discussing whether or not majoring in Economics and Information Systems would disadvantage him compared to someone doing Business/IT at UTS.

Also, thanks :D lol she totally is!
You can always transfer, do B Econ at USyd and transfer after a year or so, chances are you will get credit for completed units.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
You can always transfer, do B Econ at USyd and transfer after a year or so, chances are you will get credit for completed units.
True..
He seems to be leaning towards Commerce or Economics at USYD over anything at UTS. With so much talk about UTS's new trimester system I can't say I blame him for wanting to avoid it.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Eco USYD. Do 2nd major in Finance.

Or transfer to USYD Comm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)