Is there truly any point studying finance as a major? (1 Viewer)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
I've heard that its a skill you can learn on the job and that many investment bankers and such are doing just that. I was thinking of doing Combined econ/commerce at unsw and studying finance/accounting/economics majors, is that pointless? The ideal job for me would be either working at a hedge fund, as a financial analyst or as an auditor. Would it be better to do economics/stats for example?

Also, is there any point majoring in accounting if one doesn't plan to grab their CPA or work as an accountant/auditor?

Last edited:

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Accounting is the language of finance. You can get up to scratch from in house training, but its better to have a more solid foundation. Of course finance as a major is relevant for working in finance. Also I'd say that moving from investment banking to HF auditing is strange.

Confound

HSC
You wanna work as a hedge fund manager or be an internal auditor for a hedge fund? You can consider being a financial services auditor at big4. Anyway those are two completely wide pay grades and require complete opposite levels of effort to reach.
If you wanna work in finance, why not just major in finance? it would be easier for you to get a higher wam as it is a relatively simple major. Finance/law seems to be a common path for current analysts and interns.

Also you might wanna switch from gen english and math to advanced engl & 4u maths

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
I would want to work as a hedge fund manager or be a big 4 auditor, both ideas sound good.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Also you might wanna switch from gen english and math to advanced engl & 4u maths
This.

Even though you already did your HSC

Some paths include doing Commerce(finance or accounting), Commerce//Engineering/maths/stats/computer sci, Commerce/Law.
Judging by your subject selection, your current mathematics is definitely not up to scratch to do any of the latter.
Even with excellent grades it is difficult in get into especially without any connections.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I would want to work as a hedge fund manager or be a big 4 auditor, both ideas sound good.
The two roles are so very different... one is forward looking trying to manage investments and beat the market, whilst the other is a more risk averse role of someone looking retrospectively at things which could be indicative of issues either in the past, present or future with a good chunk of project and stakeholder management thrown in.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
The two roles are so very different... one is forward looking trying to manage investments and beat the market, whilst the other is a more risk averse role of someone looking retrospectively at things which could be indicative of issues either in the past, present or future with a good chunk of project and stakeholder management thrown in.
I know they are very different. The idea of pursuing either one of them appeals to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)