Elective subjects in Accounting (1 Viewer)

JuliaKat

HSC
I'm starting a Bachelor of Commerce degree this year and looking at my program plan I have A LOT of elective units. I'm planning on doing Accounting as my major. Any advice on what other subjects I can look at taking (or a subject area I can minor in) which will be most useful to pair with Accounting? The uni lists minor areas of study like Business Information Systems, Chinese, Economics, Entrepreneurship, HRM, Innovation, Marketing + a bunch of others. Which of these areas (or others not listed) do you think would be most helpful?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What University are you studying at?

I'd suggest that you take any electives that ensure that you receive accreditation with CPA/CA etc.

JuliaKat

HSC
I'm at University of Newcastle. Yep, definitely making sure I'm doing all courses required by CPA/CA, it seems that I'll actually only have a couple of courses that I'll need to use my electives to do, most are part of my degree anyway. I still have a lot of elective units spare though. I know I don't really need to decide now, I just really like to plan ahead lol.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm at University of Newcastle. Yep, definitely making sure I'm doing all courses required by CPA/CA, it seems that I'll actually only have a couple of courses that I'll need to use my electives to do, most are part of my degree anyway. I still have a lot of elective units spare though. I know I don't really need to decide now, I just really like to plan ahead lol.
Business Information Systems units would probably be the most helpful in terms of career usefulness.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Business Information Systems units would probably be the most helpful in terms of career usefulness.
Definitely a good area. The other common pairings would probably be finance and business law/commercial law. Finance for the general content and forcing you to learn a few concepts which might come in handy. Business law because it forces you to think in a certain way and write reports which whilst not 'true law' (ie easier research), is generally quite useful I've found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)