How are the people in commerce esp finance? (1 Viewer)

Mathew587

HSC
Hey guys,
So I'm in year 12 and I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of commerce preferably finance because I've heard it's intellectual stimulating *herrherr* and also has good pay. But I'm a bit worried as to how the fellow peeps in finance are. Already in my economics class, the kids who want to be IB's and similar high level finance stuff are already PRETTY arrogant and stuck up. I mean its quite obvious talking to them and I'm really worried that finance in particular will just be this^100. Hopefully its not like USYD law which I've heard gets pretty shit with the rich kid syndrome but I wanted some clarification on this.
Ty guys :)
P.S. I'm pretty mentally fkd like got depression, anxiety, and everything else^5 and I've been bullied for long enough that it isn't funny and as a result, I'm hoping for some clarification ^^)

sida1049

HSC
Not that I do any finance or even commerce subjects, but of the finance students I know (from, for example, economics tutorials), they're generally pretty sociable people (relative to a lot of other disciplines, at least). I haven't met many, but I can't think of anyone who gave me a bad impression. I don't think most of them would qualify as anywhere near arrogance, but some of them are ambitious in a good way.

Last edited:

Mathew587

HSC
Wow wasnt expecting this :O
ty guys for responding :)
ive been through a lot and i really dont know how much longer i can handle others shit

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
In both university & in the industry you get arrogance and abuse; it's inevitable. To the same merit though many of the people that you work with (and see professional success) are quite humble & respectful. University is pretty softcore in every respect so i wouldn't worry.

If you expect an easy ride the industry may not be for you but you're young and i'm confident that you'll grow into it.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You get all types in business really, it's such a broad field that it attracts a wide cross section of people. Finance in particular though can be quite cutthroat and high pressure, so if you are a particularly anxious person and dont handle pressure well, that might be something to ponder.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
You get all types in business really, it's such a broad field that it attracts a wide cross section of people. Finance in particular though can be quite cutthroat and high pressure, so if you are a particularly anxious person and dont handle pressure well, that might be something to ponder.
On the best of days i'm like: "If i fuck up this guy will ruin me but at least he'll do it respectfully" lmao

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That being said there are many aspects/avenues of finance, and more broadly, commerce. The stereotype/cliche/persona which people see glorified in movies/TV is really a small subset of the wider population. There are plenty of roles which will lead you down a great career path in finance which aren't necessarily the "IB crowd" (which in itself is already generalised), but finance is definitely a competitive area to be in. Every job and career path has it's own pressures, but you also have to keep in mind supply vs demand of the labour market whereby there are plenty of young folk (informed or not) who want these careers and are willing to do more just to get it.

darandonman

HSC
As a whole the typical person you meet in finance (especially in Australia) won't be what you see in the movies. Having done an IB internship, people are very respectful and friendly. However, keep in mind that everyone in the industry tend to be very charismatic and strong communicators. If you're a shy or more reserved person, you'll may get a sense that you don't necessarily belong (it may also hurt your career prospects since networking and getting others to like you is a huge aspect of progression)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)