accounting + a "useless" arts major ? (1 Viewer)

dwk72

HSC
Hi all.

Currently 2nd year b. comm sitting on a low D average at usyd.

I'm committed to an accounting major ( a) I enjoy it b) it's practical c) I have work experience in the field) and completing all the relevant cpa/ca electives.

And yet I'm not entirely committed to this path.

Would transferring to Comm (Lib studies), adding an additional year to my degree, be necessarily a bad thing? Note that I only completed 6 subjects in 2016 due to full time work commitments, so I'd theoretically finish in sem 1 2020. In particular, I've thought about a major in English literature, as it is a personal passion of mine/an option if I wanted to go into teaching later on.

Would such a combination be looked down upon by employers as indecisive ?

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
By no means qualified to answer this, but I feel like you could argue it either way:

*Accounting has nothing to do with english so why bother studying english if you want to go into accounting/finance or...
*I have an advantage over other accountants as I have better written communication and language skills which they often lack, thus I can be a more rounded and valuable employee.

I'd say just go for it if you are fine staying at uni a bit longer and its something you want to do. Better communication skills will definitely not hurt you in various business roles.

sida1049

HSC
No, your employers wouldn't look down on your literature major. If anything, it's a bonus that they'd be confident that you'll be able to communicate information clearly and fluently. If you're interested, go do it!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In all honesty it will have minimal impact on how your prospective employers look at you for a graduate position. When I see graduate applications, I don't really differentiate between different Commerce/Business degrees (unless it's Comm/Law?), and the year which you graduate does not make much of a difference either unless it took you significantly longer to finish your degree (e.g. 10 years to complete what should have been a 3 year degree) in which case it would just lead to the natural question of what did you do/why/etc.

If anything it may give you something interesting to talk about/differentiate yourself in an interview! That being said, I would only recommend this path if it's something you're passionate about.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
In all honesty it will have minimal impact on how your prospective employers look at you for a graduate position. When I see graduate applications, I don't really differentiate between different Commerce/Business degrees (unless it's Comm/Law?), and the year which you graduate does not make much of a difference either unless it took you significantly longer to finish your degree (e.g. 10 years to complete what should have been a 3 year degree) in which case it would just lead to the natural question of what did you do/why/etc.

If anything it may give you something interesting to talk about/differentiate yourself in an interview! That being said, I would only recommend this path if it's something you're passionate about.
yeah, my macquarie bank final interview was literally chat about my english major

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)