Student managed investment funds anywhere? (1 Viewer)

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
The ANU SMF definitely existed at least at the start of last year (they partnered with Bloomberg and gave out free BMC, as well as a discount on terminals, had access to a small % of funds and started recruiting and training). However like many societies, didn't seem to be at least publicly active (Socs turning into cliques is pretty common among the smaller socs).

Unlike the US SMFs aren't really a big thing here mainly because it seems not many people donate money back to universities and getting funding at a meaningful level is hard to raise and at least get approved from the uni itself.

Also ANU did it first ;)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Hey guys,
I wanted to know if any university in NSW has a student run investment fund. I know UWA has one and ANU is attempting to start one (which I think they failed at :/) but I cant seem to find any information on any Usyd/ UNSW/ UTS/ Macq funds.
Ty :)

Links:
http://www.uwasmif.com/
https://www.facebook.com/InvestANU/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_managed_investments
Sounds risky... but kinda fun I suppose. Is it students investing their own money that is being managed or is it a bit of fun money that the uni gives them?

Mathew587

HSC
Sounds risky... but kinda fun I suppose. Is it students investing their own money that is being managed or is it a bit of fun money that the uni gives them?
Both I would guess. Yeah it does sound fun.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
At ANU they received a portion of donations to the uni (something like high 6 to low 7 figs), no one invested their own money I believe. (The fund itself did not take a cut).

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
Not the same, the smf at ANU operates like a hedge fund with a single portfolio (hierarchy, reports and all). My understanding of UNIT is that it is a network in which people share ideas and strategies. However, it is probably as close as someone can get without going ANU/UWA

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. UNIT is more like a traditional society with a common interest as opposed to actually running a fund of sorts like the ones linked above. I'm quite intrigued by this!

Mathew587

HSC
Agreed. UNIT is more like a traditional society with a common interest as opposed to actually running a fund of sorts like the ones linked above. I'm quite intrigued by this!
Well then, that's good. Goals for uni include HD, close friends, gf, networking and try start a smif at uni :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)