Work Experience? Need genuine advice (1 Viewer)

tloos

HSC
I'm going to make this short and sweet. Being in year 12, I am close to completing my HSC. My future aspiration entails that of accounting, specifically in financial advising. I live in the penrith area and am aware of many financial planning services, (Tanti Financial Services, Future Financial Services etc). I obviously want to pursue this field, but for an apprehend as such, I am looking to apply for work experience. My question is, in reference to contacting as many companies/services in my area, do I send an email inducing a cover letter, resume etc? Or should I just send a general email underlining my interest in the field of work and asking them for the opportunity to have work experience at their company?

Basically to sum up what I am asking for in terms of advice:
- what should my email include in reference to contact for work experience
- and are companies open to this?

Regards

si2136

HSC
N/A
Just cold call companies that you wouldn't mind working for. Usually mid-top tier accounting firms wouldn't want to deal with teenagers because of their low ROI so maybe contact your local accountant for some work experience. Just state who you are and your intentions in contacting them, but don't straight up beg for a role.

Pthen T

HSC
I would say that the most important thing in a general email is telling them that you are aspiring to go into this field - if you're enthusiastic, this will look good. Also, as mentioned by si, calling can be effective - as emailing can be ignored, which can be really frustrating if you do not get a response.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
This is unpaid for work experience and MOST people like mentoring/teaching so you shouldn't have an issue getting local work experience in your chosen field by cold emailing or cold calling. Linkedin might also work.

Btw, what interested you in "financial advising". I didn't even know what accounting was in high school so you're clearly ahead of the game. Keep your mind open though - lots of incredible career opportunities in finance once you get into uni e.g. investment banking.

raj123456789

HSC
A little unrelated but something you should consider ,is applying for cadetships if you haven't already. There is a 2020 cadetship thread I created and tonnes of other cadetship threads pinned. I'm currently doing a audit (accounting) cadetship right now and it is absolutely amazing. Most cadetships are accounting and are in line with what you want to pursue. Shoot me a msg if u have any questions :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Out of interest why financial advice? Given everything that's been happening over past few years, it's an area which has lost a lot of it's appeal.

I also don't know if I'd lump it together with accounting as they're very different.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with seremify007.

I have been working in the advice industry for a while now and right now a lot of the traditional advice businesses are scaling down to just closing the business entirely.

The key to financial advice is knowing how to sell. Without this skill, it is difficult to be successful let alone make enough to pay the bottomline.

Best place to begin is a jobs that allow you to practice selling i.e.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)