co-op + cadetships! (1 Viewer)

abiel

HSC
hey guys!

anyone else in the dilemma of choosing between a co-op or cadetship opportunity?
hypothetically of course, that you're offered both.

i think i'd prioritise UNSW Co-op + UBS as equal first and then offers for any others following but even between these two, i'm quite conflicted bc both have such distinct pros and cons

please share your thoughts, i'd love to hear from you all!

Godard

HSC
From my understanding of the two, the UBS business cadetship is more demanding.

This is because the UNSW Co-op program extends your degree by one year thus allowing you to complete 3 industry placement programs. During the industry placement programs, you only work on that and do not need to study at the same time.

On the other hand, the UBS cadetship requires you to work part-time, while studying part-time. This will definitely be more demanding and will depend on whether you think you can organise yourself well enough to manage and balance both work/study. However, the UBS cadetship would give you more work experience than the Co-op program as you are continually working throughout your degree as opposed to three industry placement programs.

One other thing to note is that there seems to be more degrees that you can study under the Co-op program (Accounting + management, actuarial studies, finance, etc) as compared to the UBS cadetship (I notice that UBS cadets only study a single degree - B Commerce or B Economics).

At the end of the day, you will have to consider whether you can accommodate the extra commitments required by the UBS cadetship.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC

This is because the UNSW Co-op program extends your degree by one year thus allowing you to complete 3 industry placement programs. During the industry placement programs, you only work on that and do not need to study at the same time.

On the other hand, the UBS cadetship requires you to work part-time, while studying part-time. This will definitely be more demanding and will depend on whether you think you can organise yourself well enough to manage and balance both work/study. However, the UBS cadetship would give you more work experience than the Co-op program as you are continually working throughout your degree as opposed to three industry placement programs.

One other thing to note is that there seems to be more degrees that you can study under the Co-op program (Accounting + management, actuarial studies, finance, etc) as compared to the UBS cadetship (I notice that UBS cadets only study a single degree - B Commerce or B Economics).

At the end of the day, you will have to consider whether you can accommodate the extra commitments required by the UBS cadetship.
You don't work part time, you work full time or close to it. My friend does the UBS cadetship and iirc he works like 35+ hours a week.

abiel

HSC

Hmm, that's pretty much a summary of my thoughts on the two as well.

I'm pretty confident in my organisation/time management and reckon I'll be able to uphold the demands of the cadetship - I guess it'll come down to whether I'm willing to prioritise practical and invaluable experience in an IB over the full uni experience and my social life :haha:

Will definitely be happy with either though, keen to see how things unfold.

Thanks for all your replies everyone!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the key thing is a cadetship (for both the UBS one as well as any of the accounting cadetships) is that they are a job first, with an allowance for you to study outside of this. In other words, your work performance is key and the expectation will be you are committed and progress within the organisation - and on the flipside because you haven't finished your degree, your employer recognises this and provides support (eg. additional leave, flexible work arrangements, additional allowances for books, etc).

A coop scholarship is an opportunity to have guaranteed industry placements/work experience (but you don't know where/doing what exactly) along with the branding/reputation to improve your chances of getting a graduate job particularly if it's at one of the sponsoring organisations (who get to make 'priority' offers). The real practical benefit of this is because for the earlier industry placements, you're really just there to observe/learn but there's no expectation you'll be progressing/working at that organisation in the short term (<12 months). Seeing that you don't get remunerated by the sponsor organisation directly either, they don't really measure your performance to the same rigour as they would for a normal full time employee (ie. they don't pay you salary increases or bonuses).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)