• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadets: UTS vs. UNSW (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was just wondering if there are any cadets (either 2006 or existing cadets) whom have any thoughts on the UTS B Business vs. UNSW B Commerce debate. I'm leaning towards UNSW because I think the Finance side of things will be better than UTS's more generic course, but I'm also wondering if it's worth my extra effort to 'get there' from work and also from my house (there are direct buses to the QVB, and buses to train station).

So far I've had multiple views from various cadets I've talked to- they all seem to agree that UTS is so much more convenient (ie. 10mins of walk vs. 40mins of bus) and I know it'll definitely be easier for me to get to from my house during full time study later on; but then, the UNSW course is apparently very good.

My other thought is- if I'm planning to undertake CA later on, the subjects I can pick in uni are limited and I'm less likely to receive the benefits of a more detailed Finance course when I'm undertaking business law in accordance with CA requirements.

Any other Accounting cadets got any views on this? I'm pretty sure my UAI will let me go to etiher university.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
I was just wondering if there are any cadets (either 2006 or existing cadets) whom have any thoughts on the UTS B Business vs. UNSW B Commerce debate. I'm leaning towards UNSW because I think the Finance side of things will be better than UTS's more generic course, but I'm also wondering if it's worth my extra effort to 'get there' from work and also from my house (there are direct buses to the QVB, and buses to train station).

So far I've had multiple views from various cadets I've talked to- they all seem to agree that UTS is so much more convenient (ie. 10mins of walk vs. 40mins of bus) and I know it'll definitely be easier for me to get to from my house during full time study later on; but then, the UNSW course is apparently very good.

My other thought is- if I'm planning to undertake CA later on, the subjects I can pick in uni are limited and I'm less likely to receive the benefits of a more detailed Finance course when I'm undertaking business law in accordance with CA requirements.

Any other Accounting cadets got any views on this? I'm pretty sure my UAI will let me go to etiher university.
I know people who have done it at both Unis. There is no doubt that UTS beats all the other Unis in terms of proximity to city (its location is very convenient for those working in the city). But ultimately the quality of the degree at UNSW is better, and for most students who have the opportunity to pick the two, they almost always end up going to UNSW.

Getting to UNSW after work is a bit of a hassle (I did it in Sem1) compared to UTS, but ultimately it comes down to the value you put on your time/effort vs. the quality of the program.

And at UNSW you can complete a double major in Accounting and finance (seven subjects in each discipline) and still meet CA requiremenmts of Business Law courses. I think UTS should have a similar offering too.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think you could help explain to me how to pick the right subjects so that I am elegible for CA with business law? My sister tried to explain it to me but I didn't quite understand her and I think things may have changed since the time when she did her cadetship some 7 years ago.

By the way, may I ask which firm you are at? Please PM me if you want to keep it private- I'm just curious about travelling times and so on. Today I was thinking- whilst UNSW is harder to get to, it's only 2 years where I have to really do that "get from work to UNSW" thing, and it's only half a week per week, and there aren't that many uni weeks in a year... my father is concerned I might skip classes out of laziness to get to uni (I've never jigged a day of school in my life- well, not in the past year at least)... so I don't think that will be a problem.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
Do you think you could help explain to me how to pick the right subjects so that I am elegible for CA with business law? My sister tried to explain it to me but I didn't quite understand her and I think things may have changed since the time when she did her cadetship some 7 years ago.

By the way, may I ask which firm you are at? Please PM me if you want to keep it private- I'm just curious about travelling times and so on. Today I was thinking- whilst UNSW is harder to get to, it's only 2 years where I have to really do that "get from work to UNSW" thing, and it's only half a week per week, and there aren't that many uni weeks in a year... my father is concerned I might skip classes out of laziness to get to uni (I've never jigged a day of school in my life- well, not in the past year at least)... so I don't think that will be a problem.
I do accounting co-op (which is kinda similar to a cadetship in some ways), and I did my first Industry Training at Arnott's Biscuits (which was all the way out at Homebush), so getting to Uni was a real pain. I think I'll be in the city for my next one.

I jigged heaps of school, but when I was studying part-time, I barely ever missed a single class. It comes down to motivation, if you wanna pass uni, then skipping all your tutes and not doing tute questions is fatal.

For CA, you need to complete the following subjects at UNSW:

Accounting and Financial Managment 1A
Accounting and Financial Managment 1B
Managment Accounting
Corporate Financial Reporting and Analysis
Issues in Financial Reporting and Analysis
Stakeholder Value Management
Auditing and Assurance

Business Finance

Legal Environment of Commerce
Business Transactions
Busioness Entities
Business Taxation

Automatically, you get a major in Accounting, and you can decide to get another major (in Finance or Business Law) by simple completing an extra sequence of subjects so that you have seven (including the cores).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I PM'd you, but if anyone else is interested, I'm just wondering how one has to structure their double major in order to be elegible for CA- I personally would like to study Finance, but it seems there are requirements from Business Law in order to get into CA.

Btw, congrats on getting the coop at UNSW for Accounting. One of my friends was offered that and she recently decided to accept it =]

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Well my decision is simple, my UAI is only good enough to get me into UTS. lol.
(Mind you, that was my goal)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
seremify007 said:
I PM'd you, but if anyone else is interested, I'm just wondering how one has to structure their double major in order to be elegible for CA- I personally would like to study Finance, but it seems there are requirements from Business Law in order to get into CA.

Btw, congrats on getting the coop at UNSW for Accounting. One of my friends was offered that and she recently decided to accept it =]
Dude, you will be able to double major in Finance and Accounting, AND meet all the Business Law requirements for CA.

Structure of UNSW Commerce:
144 credit points
You need 7 finance subjects and 7 accounting subjects for the double major, and four biz law units added for the CA, plus 12CP of General education.

1st Year:
ACCT1501
ECON1101
ECON1202
FINS1612

ACCT1511
ECON1102
ECON1203
FINS1613

2nd Year:
ACCT2522
FINS
FINS
LEGT1711

ACCT2542
FINS
FINS
LEGT2721

3rd Year:
ACCT3563
ACCT3708
FINS
LEGT2741

ACCT3583
LEGT2751
GENEDS

Of course thats not a set structure, but one just to show how you can complete all your requirements, and it'd be different as well because you'll be part time

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the info Minai- I'm still not entirely sure how I have to sort things out (made even more confusing by the fact that PwC has full time for 1 semester, then we begin the 2 years of part time...) but hopefully with time, I'll be able to sort everything out.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:

I think Minai kinda answered this in the earlier post, but I have attached a sample study program for accounting and finance double major assuming you do a 2+2 porgram (like PwC/KPMG offer). It is true that if you don't select the correct sequence, then you fall behind, but as long as you make informed choices about which subjects to do, you'll be fine.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
Thanks for the info Minai- I'm still not entirely sure how I have to sort things out (made even more confusing by the fact that PwC has full time for 1 semester, then we begin the 2 years of part time...) but hopefully with time, I'll be able to sort everything out.
There should be a fair few UNSW cadets at PwC in the years above you. They should be able to offer you a bit of guidance to get you through.

Seremify, attached is an adjusted 2+2 sample study program to reflect the requirements of PwC's program stucture. It has first semester full-time university, followed by 4 semesters part-time, then 3 semesters full-time again.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that.. and it's colour coded =] One quick Q, what's "General Education"? Is that the bit where I slot in the biz law requirements for CA?

phrred

HSC
no , gen ed is u choose subjects that will give u broad knowledge so u can choose courses from other faculties but if ur commerce u cant choose subjects from ur faculty.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
Thanks for that.. and it's colour coded =] One quick Q, what's "General Education"? Is that the bit where I slot in the biz law requirements for CA?
The Business Law fopr CA subjects are colour-coded (purple I think). There are four of them: Legal Environment, BusTrans,Bus Taxation, and Business Entities.

General Education is where you do subjects that are outside the Faculty of Commerce and Economics (eg. Science/Engineering/Philosophy/Psychology/Arts). UNSW has a requirement all single faculty students complete them in order to"broaden their educational horizons."

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow I see.. Thanks for that. I guess I can do some kind of computers/programming thing there then?

Thanks again also for the information and the sample study program.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
After Open Day I'm even more confused than before (ironic isn't it?)... The Business Law people said to the cadets that we either do it as a co-major, or we do our Finance and have to work extra hard doing extra subjects in final year, staying another semester, or studying at night...

... oh woe. What to do?

pete_mate

HSC
its called commerce!

commerce!!

B Business sounds retarded, and generic

¬_¬

HSC
pete_mate said:
its called commerce!

commerce!!

B Business sounds retarded, and generic
Agreed- but it's convenient and practical for cadets; and for those who are cadets, future employers would probably admire your work experience over the name of your degree.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry to bump this again but I wanted to ask if it's possible to do FINS in First semester, and do the LEGT (CA-stuff) later on?

At the moment I am enrolled in B Comm for Fins in S1 of my first year; and (following the schedule "Adjusted 2+2 Accounting..." file provided above), is it possible for me to do the Legal Environment of Commerce in S2 of my 2nd year?- ie. can you do a first year subject later on?

Thanks... I feel so stupid right now.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
Sorry to bump this again but I wanted to ask if it's possible to do FINS in First semester, and do the LEGT (CA-stuff) later on?

At the moment I am enrolled in B Comm for Fins in S1 of my first year; and (following the schedule "Adjusted 2+2 Accounting..." file provided above), is it possible for me to do the Legal Environment of Commerce in S2 of my 2nd year?- ie. can you do a first year subject later on?

Thanks... I feel so stupid right now.
Yes, it is possible.

The subjects (eg. Legal Env, Bus Trans, etc.) are offered in both Sem1 and Sem2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)